• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Concept for a concept :) (Ghost Ship)

This topic is 4227 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
It's pretty nice!
However, I think it would be even better if you replaced the sun with a moon, and darkened the sky somewhat.

Interesting. That would fit the "ghost" feeling better. Let me see what I can come up with. Thanks for the idea.

Good stuff. I love your ship. My only concern is that I find the water looks a wee bit more like gravel than water.

I like the sun, sky shading, and the ship, but their resolutions appear slightly different, and the water is slightly blocky. I think you should add detail to the water and sails and make some waves in the water.

Thanks all for the comments. I agree with all of them. Now if my skill would :) But just another reason to keep working on it. Here is a night version.

Great work! The only thing I liked better about the first version over the second was the size (and thus level of detail) of the ship in the image. Very nicely done!

I like both versions.

In fact the daytime one I find quite creepy. There is something unnerving about a ghost "in the daytime" like that.

If I could just figure out how to make the water look better. I have an idea of a way but it will take some time. Thanks for the comments everyone.

I much prefer the feel of the nighttime version (the full moon is a nice touch) but I think it would look better if the fog mainly lay low on the sea and the masts were more defined (white on black sort of thing).

Other than that I really like it ...great work [smile]

All the best,
ViLiO

Quote:
Original post by IronGryphon
If I could just figure out how to make the water look better. I have an idea of a way but it will take some time. Thanks for the comments everyone.

The water looks much better in the night scene. I think all you need to do is make the shading in the water heavier-- instead of shades going from light gray to dark gray, go all the way to black.

Excellent job! The first image is a tad too bright, and the second too dark. Perhaps you should experiement with some ominous tones, like green or purple to give the scene a more sinister, supernatural mood.

Quote:
Original post by ViLiO
I much prefer the feel of the nighttime version (the full moon is a nice touch) but I think it would look better if the fog mainly lay low on the sea and the masts were more defined (white on black sort of thing).

Other than that I really like it ...great work [smile]

All the best,
ViLiO

Good points. I originally tried to make the masts sharper but the size of the ship and water made it look out of place. Next time I'll start with a larger image size and scale from there.

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Could you make the ship more prominent? Yes, I know, "ghostly" is often best served by some sort of translucency, but I think your ship receeds into the fog a wee bit too much.

I agree completely. The problem I was having was the horizon and the thickness of the fog. Next time a larger ship out of the deep fog should work. I might have went a little blur crazy going for a glowing errie effect.

And thanks Lukewarm, I'll try that. I need to make larger waves with deeper crests/troughs.

Maybe having the ghost ship much closer, and in the middle of breaking a fog bank, would be much more dramatic. So the front is very clear and detailed and the rear is in fog/out of focus?

Working with the original you had, I just did a few little touch-ups to create a more interesting composition and increase the "ghastly" effect. I didn't try and enhance the overall elements of the image, because I like the old-school low res feel.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement