• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

VS 2005 problem

This topic is 4224 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to write a very simple windows program. The following code compiles and runs fine under VC++ 2003, but under vs2005 I get an error.
#define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN	// trim down the libraries used

#include <windows.h>	// main windows header

// the main entry point to the program
int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nShowCmd)
{
	// show a very simple message box with the text "Hello, world!" displayed
	MessageBox(NULL, "\tHello, world!", "My First Windows Application", NULL);
	return 0;
}

Here's the error I get:
 error C2664: 'MessageBoxW' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'const char [15]' to 'LPCWSTR'
1>        Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast

Does anyone know why VS2005 doesn't like this?

Advertisement
VS2005 uses wide characters by default for Win32, a wide string looks like this:
L"contents"

The string type is std::wstring (a typedef for std::basic_string<wchar_t>) and the char type is wchar_t. You can also tell it to use ASCII characters again in your project options.

EDIT: You modify the character set here:
Project properties->Configuration properties->General->Character Set, set to "Use Multi-Byte Character Set"

You can also use the TEXT() macro around the literal string. This will tac on the L if your are compiling using a wide character set or leave it off it you are using signle byte character set.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement