Global scope

Started by
12 comments, last by Oluseyi 17 years, 8 months ago
How do I use global scopes? I want to use functions from one class in another class. I am creating my Battle class, but it needs access to Player. Can I allow Battle class to use Player functions without deriving it? Scopes always confuse me. Can someone explain static, virtual, and Constructors/Destructors initialize variables and delete variables, correct? Thanks.
Advertisement
tatic, virtual, and Constructors/Destructors: these are all very different things, and I don't think you want any of them in this case.

I think what you really want to do is pass in your player object as a parameter to a method of your Battle class:
void Battle::doStuff(Player ply){    ply.funcInsidePlayer();}

If not we can talk more about static methods (which is most likely what you would need).

Matt
__________________________________[ Website ] [ Résumé ] [ [email=contact[at]matthughson[dot]com]Contact[/email] ][ Have I been Helpful? Hook me up! ]
Yea, those things aren't import at the moment. They were just a few things that were annoying me because I don't know what they are used for or how they are used.

I just tried what you said, and yes that is what I want, but it gives errors.

Here are the errors:

battle.cpp:18: error: variable or field `LevelUp' declared void
battle.cpp:18: error: `int cBattle::LevelUp' is not a static member of `class cBattle'
battle.cpp:18: error: `cPlayer' was not declared in this scope
battle.cpp:19: error: expected `,' or `;' before '{' token

and heres the code for the player.h and the battle class

Player.h
#ifndef CPLAYER_CLASS#define CPLAYER_CLASS//--------------------------------------------------//  Include Files//--------------------------------------------------#include <windows.h>#include <string>//--------------------------------------------------//  Player.h class//--------------------------------------------------class cPlayer{        private:          std::string          P_Name;                int            P_Powerlevel;        int            P_MaxPowerlevel;        int            P_Attack;        int            P_MaxAttack;        int            P_Defense;        int            P_MaxDefense;        int            P_Ki;        int            P_MaxKi;        int            P_Level;        int            P_Experience;        int            P_MaxExperience;        int            P_Zenni;                public:         std::string   GetName();        int    GetPowerlevel();        int    GetMaxPowerlevel();        int    GetAttack();        int    GetMaxAttack();        int    GetDefense();        int    GetMaxDefense();        int    GetKi();        int    GetMaxKi();        int    GetLevel();        int    GetExperience();        int    GetMaxExperience();        int    GetZenni();                void    SetName(std::string newname);        void    SetPowerlevel(int newpowerlvl);        void    SetMaxPowerlevel(int newmaxpowerlvl);        void    SetAttack(int newattack);        void    SetMaxAttack(int newmaxattack);        void    SetDefense(int newdefense);        void    SetMaxDefense(int newmaxdefense);        void    SetKi(int newki);        void    SetMaxKi(int newmaxki);        void    SetLevel(int newlevel);        void    SetExperience(int newexperience);        void    SetMaxExperience(int newmaxexperience);        void    SetZenni(int newzenni);                void    ChangePowerlevel(int amount);        void    ChangeMaxPowerlevel(int amount);        void    ChangeAttack(int amount);        void    ChangeMaxAttack(int amount);        void    ChangeDefense(int amount);        void    ChangeMaxDefense(int amount);        void    ChangeKi(int amount);        void    ChangeMaxKi(int amount);        void    ChangeLevel(int amount);        void    ChangeExperience(int amount);        void    ChangeMaxExperience(int amount);        void    ChangeZenni(int amount);        //To lower values, use changew/e and just use a negative number};#endif

Battle.h
#include "battle.h"cBattle::cBattle(){    //ctor}cBattle::~cBattle(){    //dtor}void cBattle::DeathCheck(){}void cBattle::LevelUp(cPlayer player){    if (cPlayer.GetExperience >= cPlayer.GetMaxExperience)        cPlayer.SetLevel(cPlayer.GetLevel + 1);}

Guess I do need to know about static members. :-
Ignore everything. I fixed it. I forgot to include the class I wa susing, and I missed closing a bracket for the function. Thanks for your help.
This function is broken. It doesn't do what you think it does.
    void cBattle::LevelUp(cPlayer player)    {        if (cPlayer.GetExperience >= cPlayer.GetMaxExperience)            cPlayer.SetLevel(cPlayer.GetLevel + 1);    } 
I'll give you a hint. This function has the same problem:
    void SetToZero( int x )    {        x = 0;    } 
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Huh? What's wrong with the SetToZero function you have there??? It looks fine to me. Your getting an integer which you then set to 0. How is it wrong? Unless, your using the wrong variable? Actually yea. int blah SetToZero(blah) it would make blah go into x but not change the value of blah o.O Am I right?

For my function though, can you help me out a little more because I've never done anything like this (cPlayer player) I want to make the function able to take any object made from the player class and be able to change all of it's statistics.

Hope you understood all that lol. Thanks.
the problem with setZero is that you are passing the variable by value.
so:

void SetToZero( int x ) {    x = 0;}

will create a new variable named 'x' that is only used within the function that has the same value as whatever you pass to it.

so someobject.SetToZero(myCoolVariable);
would do exactly the same as someobject.SetToZero(5);
(if myCoolVariable contains the value 5)

in order to allow SetToZero to modify the variable you pass to it you need to pass the address of the variable,

either by using
void SetToZero(int *x) {    (*x)=0;}somecrap.SetToZero(&somevariable)

or the better and easier option
void SetToZero (int &x) {    x=0;}somecrap.SetToZero(somevariable);
Ohhh. I haven't used this before '&'. I knew it had to do with addresses, but didn't know much about. Pointers are another thing that confuse me. I think this should work.

void cBattle::LevelUp(cPlayer &player){    if (player.GetExperience() >= player.GetMaxExperience())            player.ChangeLevel(1);            player.ChangeMaxAttack(2);            player.ChangeMaxDefense(2);            player.ChangeMaxExperience(200);            player.ChangeMaxKi(5);            player.ChangeMaxPowerlevel(10);            player.ChangeZenni(3);}

Where into the function, all those player.blah are now w/e player has the address of. So now it can work on say Chicken, Dog, Cat and still not bother the other animals so to speak?
Quote:Original post by SonicD007
Ohhh. I haven't used this before '&'. I knew it had to do with addresses, but didn't know much about. Pointers are another thing that confuse me. I think this should work.

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Where into the function, all those player.blah are now w/e player has the address of. So now it can work on say Chicken, Dog, Cat and still not bother the other animals so to speak?

yup pretty much, (if Chicken, Dog, Cat, etc are players that is)

basically a pointer contains a memory address

so
int a = 5;
int *b = &a

would create something like this. (crappy ascii picture)
--- ---
|b| ----> |a|
|*| |5|
--- ---

a is a variable with the value 5,
b is a pointer that "points" at a. (b:s value is the address of a, or &a)

given an address you can access the value stored by using a dereference.
(*b) is 5.
Quote:Original post by SonicD007
So now it can work on say Chicken, Dog, Cat and still not bother the other animals so to speak?

No, presuming that by referring to Chicken, Dog and Cat you are referencing the common (and stupid) inheritance examples of creating a base class named Animal and derived classes as previously mentioned.

A reference, as created using the address-of operator (&) in a parameter list, contains the address of an object of that type, and of that type only. To enable polymorphism (the ability to treat an object of one type as another, related type), you must use pointers in C++.

The Anonymous Poster above conflates a pair of uses of the address-of operator:
  1. It can be used to obtain the address of an existing variable, as in the example:
    int a = 5;int * addr = &a   // addr contains the address of a*addr = 4;         // we _dereference_ addr to access and modify the valuecout << a << endl; // prints 4, because that's the new value of a

2. It can be used to create a reference variable:
    int a = 5;int & b = a;  // note the placement of the &, and the absence of *b = 4;cout << a << endl; // prints 4, as b is effectively an alias for aint c = 6;b = c;             // has the effect of setting the value of a to the value of ccout << a << endl; // prints 6

The use of references is the second example, allowing you to pass an object to a function and obtain an alias that modifies the original object. C++ however, thanks to its C legacy, is a little confusing, so there's one more use of the & symbol that is completely unrelated to the above:
int a = 5;         // in binary, this is 00000101int b = 12;        // binary: 00001100int c = a & b;     // this performs a bitwise AND. result: 00000100cout << c << endl; // prints 4

There's also &&, which is a logical AND, similar to the bitwise AND above but operating on boolean variables.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement