• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jonnys

A question about Direct Music

This topic is 4318 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can you load and play a mp3 file or ogg vorbis files using direct music? If yes how would you do it in c++ using direct music or direct sound? Also if u have links to source code that uses direct sound to load mp3 or vorbis, that would be helpful. Thanks in advance

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by STufaro
I'm pretty sure DirectMusic is MIDI-only, so you can't load OGGs or MP3s with it.

not only MIDI.
DirectMusic can load WAV.
and more,can load "directmusic format files"(e.g."segment"-file,"band"-file,,etc)

Quote:
Original post by STufaro
I'm pretty sure DirectMusic is MIDI-only, so you can't load OGGs or MP3s with it.

Wrong. My last music system used DirectMusic to load both OGG and MP3.

@OP: I don't have any source code available, but IMO DirectSound would be the best choice for loading an OGG file.

Here is a good tutorial though.

Quote:
Original post by Programmer16
Quote:
Original post by STufaro

Wrong. My last music system used DirectMusic to load both OGG and MP3.
I thought you had to use the OGG Vorbis SDK to decode OGG files, since Windows (And therefore I'd presume DirectMusic) doesn't handle .ogg by default?

Whoops. My bad.

Quote:
Original post by Programmer16
Touche. I didn't use JUST DirectMusic, I used the Ogg SDK and DirectMusic.

Dare I bring up that Mac commercial? :P

Edit: ah, yes, now I remember the .seg's. More formats to add to the Tower of Bable!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!