• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Pyroiguana

Descent 2 for Xbox?

This topic is 4464 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Alright. I want to know first off if this is possible. I saw that someone ported Doom to the xbox and started thinking. Below is the website for a project that updated the original version of Descent 2 called D2X-XL and the source code. Source Code Game Site Me, i'm a near total beginner at scripting. I'm hard at work learning, and was wanting a long term goal. I definitely don't have the skills to start off on the project immediatly, i know I need a firmer grasp of C++ before I do. Even so, could you tell me what a project like this would take? In time, effort, and knowledge? And how I should get started?

Advertisement
Porting it is very possible if you know what you are doing. Normally, you would need an XDK to develop for the Xbox, which is very harder to get.
There has been much success with homebrewing which requires a modchip (now illegal I believe). I had a few links but can't remember them; I'll add them if I do.

There is the OpenXDK, but it dosen't support many features, or even hardware acceleration I think.
You can make them onto any kind of disk, but Xbox DVDs have a special signiture which hasn't been cracked yet. A regular CD or DVD should be fine for homebrew.

If you had a modchip.
Xboxes(sp?) only recognize certain disks, which vary by what kind of DVD drive you Xbox has. My old one with the Thompson drive didn't even read most CD-Rs except for one.

Honestly, "no," a DVD wouldn't work. This is because you need to buy a very EXPENSIVE DVD writer to write XBOX Game DVDs. They are written from the outside IN, instead of the INSIDE OUT.

Yea, it sucks, sorry. =\

Pretty much, unless you work for a professional dev company with an XDK.
Of course there's the very slim chance that someone would sell one, which would still be pricey I bet.
Actually, it's very possible with OpenXDK and a modchip, that is if you aren't worried about legal reasons.

OpenXDK doesn't properly support C++, hardware acceleration or dynamic memory allocation. You'll be in for a world of hurt trying to do this as your first game.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!