• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

I have no clue how to write a program! HELP!

This topic is 4224 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think Im going to satrt writing programs on C, but have no clue how to write in C, and I have no clue where to get or how a write a program... periodE! If somebody can tell me a site where I can get C, and where there is a good online begginers tutorial for C as well. That would be really helpful! Thanks!

Advertisement
Many people suggest learning C++ instead of C. Once you use C++ for awhile some of its features can come in handy.
What you need is a compiler and editer(often offered together). Dev-C++ is fairly easy to use IMO, but hasn't been supported in awhile. I recommend Visual C++ 2005 Express; it offers more and is widely supported, but can be tough to get the hang of.
Site with tutorials:
Cplusplus.com
Cprogramming.com
There are many more, but I can't think of them now. Google is also a very useful tool. I advise on getting a book on C++ as well.

Good luck to ya and happy coding.

While I would personally reccomend learning C++, learning C should be fine too, as alot of that knowledge will be transferrable to C++. Most C++ compilers will support C, even though some older features of C are not part of C++. For an IDE (an IDE is an editor integrated with a compiler) I would recommend Visual C++ 2005 Express, or the Code::Blocks IDE (which comes with the MingW compiler). Both are free, and should satisfy your needs quite well. Dev C++ (which also uses the MingW compiler I think) is easy to use, but it's a little buggy, so I haven't used it in a while. After you download an IDE, the links suggested by Sol462 should help you out, and I would also recommend getting a C or C++ book. There are many good ones avaiable online for free, but I prefer having a hard copy on hand.
Good luck!
P.S. On an unrelated note, the closed captions on T.V. spell it "Soquid", I don't know if that is the "correct" spelling though.

Beginning C++ game programming
by Michael Dawson
Premier Press

is an amazing book that I recomend to get you started with C++. It covers the basics good, and gives excellent examples. It totally primed me for almost any kind of programming in C++, not just games as well. That said, premier press is just a good source for many types of programing books. ;)

Amazon listing of said book

You don't want online tutorials. You want a good book. And if you want to learn C++, check out the C++ Workshop available at the bottom of the forums pages here.

Thanks! That helps me alot! I guesse I will use C++ instead of C. I'm going to try and learn some basic things first. BTW this is a nice site!

Thanks for all the help!

Quote:
Original post by pulpfist
Here is two online books Id recommend:

For starters:
http://newdata.box.sk/bx/c/
(This one has some typos in the code examples but nothing you cant handle)

This one is digging a bit deeper:
http://www.mindviewinc.com/

I hate to disagree, but if you want to learn C++, don't use the first one; it looks pre-standard. The second is better, but I remember being confused by it when I was starting out. I think your best bet really is the C++ Workshop on these forums.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement