height in an isometric landscape

Started by
2 comments, last by streamer 17 years, 7 months ago
Hello, I've recently started making a simple isometric game/simulation, and I've been stuck for a few weeks now trying to figure out what the neatest way was to implement the 'height' element of my terrain. So far, I just have tiles, and each tile has a height value. The problem is that I don't want it to be just blocks sticking out at a certain level, I want the landscape to flow. This means each tile (I'm using square tiles) has 4 corners, and I will have to determine the height of each corner by averaging out the 4 neighbouring heights:
.-.-.
| | |
|-+-|
| | |
`-`-`
(please forgive the bad ASCII art ;-)) anyway, if I would do this , it would create a nice quad for me that is skewed/stretched/etc to match the 4 corners.. the problem is, that my landscape is now not the level I had expected it to be, rendering the height value worthless (besides calculating these averages). Say I have a top of a mountain, where the heighest tile would be height 16, and all (eight) surrounding tiles would be 12. Using this system, each corner of the top tile would be (16 + 3*12)/4 = 13, so the mountain top would only be 13 high. The height value of the top tile would be useless for rendering objects/items/trees/etc on a certain height.. I've been considering a lot of options to solve this, but I won't bore you with all those now, or the thread will be too intimidatingly long to read for most people, and would only result in less feedback ;-) In short, what's a neat way to implement a flowing isometric landscape (think Settlers), without losing the height data? Thx in advance, Ko9 [Edited by - ko9 on July 28, 2006 1:43:10 PM]
Advertisement
DarkBASIC uses a 3D matrix system in which you assign the heights of each corner, and it calculates polygons using lines between pairs of corners.
Why do you need to average out the corners in the first place?

Isn't it simplier to do:
A ---- B|      || Tile ||      |C----- D

And let Tile's height be interpolated by A through D?

If you're using 3D, don't average out heights at all
Drawing a quad based on dots A->D will suffice!

/Robert
"Game Maker For Life, probably never professional thou." =)
Consider following picture:

1 step:
you need to find x,y coordinate of these vertices:
5.x = (A.x+B.x)/2;
5.y = (A.y+D.y)/2;

1.x = (A.x+5.x)/2;
1.y = (A.y+5.y)/2;

2.x = 5.x + (B.x+5.x)/2;
2.y = 1.y;

3.x = 1.x;
3.y = 5.y + (D.y+5.y)/2;

4.x = 2.x;
4.y = 3.y;

2nd step:
For calculating height of these vertices, you need to know height of tile plus height of surrounding tiles.

Height of tile is height of vertex no 5, so:
5.z = tile_height;

We need to calculate height of vertices ABCD:
A.z = (5.z+ T0.tile_height)/2;
B.z = (5.z+ T2.tile_height)/2;
C.z = (5.z+ T4.tile_height)/2;
D.z = (5.z+ T6.tile_height)/2;

Height of veretx 1 is 1.z = (5.z+ A.z)/2;
2.z = (5.z+ B.z)/2;
3.z = (5.z+ D.z)/2;
4.z = (5.z+ C.z)/2;

Here you can use greater slope and not use /2, but /3 or similar.
Also you must calculate z coordinates of vertices between A and B, B and C, C and D, and D and A.
AB.z = (5.z+ T1.tile_height)/2;
BC.z = (5.z+ T3.tile_height)/2;
CD.z = (5.z+ T5.tile_height)/2;
DA.z = (5.z+ T7.tile_height)/2;
3 step - drawing:
Because we are using 2D drawing there are no z coordinate. For achieving fake look of height just subtract height from y coordinate of vertex;
1.y -= 1.z;
2.y -= 2.z;
etc...

Another problem is shading them. You'll find that height is ok, but you need a light map for heights.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement