GLSL Parallax Mapping

Started by
18 comments, last by Vexator 17 years, 8 months ago
Try the following for the height map sampling.
// use a scale of 0.05, try bias of 0 for nowfloat height = texture2D(heightMap, gl_TexCoord[0]).r - bias;float offset = scale * (2.0 * height - 1.0);vec2 newTexCoord = gl_TexCoord[0].st + viewVector.xy * height;

My shader does something to that affect.

Hope that helps

Advertisement
Ok, so here's the change that I made:

// Get the height value and calculate the new texture coord.
float height = texture2D(heightMap, texCoord).r - bias;
float offset = scale * (2.0 * height - 1.0);
vec2 newTexCoord = texCoord.st + viewVector.xy * offset;

And what I did was as I lowered the size of scale it looked more like a normal texture. When I put it at 0.0001 it nearly looked like the original texture which makes sense because there's less offset. So here's my question, would it be possible that I have the wrong viewVector or something like that?
Douglas Eugene Reisinger II
Projects/Profile Site
A few swift calculation changes and I'm almost there
float scale = 0.05float bias = 0.025float height = texture2D(heightMap, texCoord).r;//float offset = scale * (2.0 * height - 1.0);float offset = (height * scale) - bias;vec2 newTexCoord = texCoord.st + (viewVectorNew.xy * offset);

Here are the results
Almost Working...
Douglas Eugene Reisinger II
Projects/Profile Site
maybe you should take a look at the rendermonkey and shaderdesigner examples and look how they did it :)
Wunderwerk Engine is an OpenGL-based, shader-driven, cross-platform game engine. It is targeted at aspiring game designers who have been kept from realizing their ideas due to lacking programming skills.

blog.wunderwerk-engine.com
I have made some parallax stuff too, but it looks kind of what the second screenshot shows, kind of messy and stretched. I used the code from the Shader Designer example. Though, I read someplace that I should use a heightmap that is bigger in size than the normal texture (i.e. texture = 256x256, heightmap = 512x512 instead of the other way around). Can this really be true?
i had the same problems with the shader designer sample as well, but i thought that it was simply my fault. their examples seem to be coded for a static camera only.. the intensity of the light was influenced by my camera movement, etc Oo
Wunderwerk Engine is an OpenGL-based, shader-driven, cross-platform game engine. It is targeted at aspiring game designers who have been kept from realizing their ideas due to lacking programming skills.

Ah yes, that is correct... Shader Designer uses a static camera.. hmm, so how did you solve it? Should only be a small revamp of some portion of the code I guess :)
Are u sure that the camera an light uses right coordinates when you send to the shader? With my TBN matrix I need to negate the tangent vector.

ains
I am not even sure I am calculating the tangents and binormals correctly :)
http://www.terathon.com/code/tangent.php

works fine, using it in my engine, too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement