• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
EmrldDrgn

std::string to char*

This topic is 4401 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to turn a std::string that I used for my function arguement into a char * to use as an arguement to another function. I tried using .c_str, but that returns a const char * (say, why can't you assign a char * to the value of a const one?). How can I get around this problem?

Advertisement
A simple (char*) cast should work, but why do you want to convert it to a non-const string? You shouldn't modify the data directly. If you need to modify the data inside of a function, pass a const std::string reference instead of a char pointer.

Quote:
Original post by Programmer16
A simple (char*) cast should work, but why do you want to convert it to a non-const string? You shouldn't modify the data directly. If you need to modify the data inside of a function, pass a const std::string reference instead of a char pointer.

No, no, no. You should never cast away constness like that, even if you're 'sure' that your function never modifies the data. You are just undermining the security features of the language if you do that. If you really want to modify it, make a copy or else just have your function take a const char* as well.

I can't say I'd recommend the doing any const casting trickery, since the internals of basic_string are mostly left up to the implementation. If you really must pass a non-const character pointer to a string, you can do something along these lines:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <vector>

int main() {
// A string
std::string s("Testing");

// Copy s into a vector, then add a null terminator
std::vector <char> v(s.begin(), s.end());
v.push_back(char(0));

// And, finally, direct access to a pointer
char *v_str = &v[0];

// Let's print it out for some reason
std::cout << v_str << std::endl;

// Say you need to put it back into the string now (edit: I like this way better, actually)
s.assign(&v[0], v.size()-1);
}

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that, so let me show you what I'm trying to do.

GLuint LoadGLTexture(std::string loader)
{
ilInit();
iluInit();
ilutRenderer(ILUT_OPENGL);
ilutInit();

loader = "Data/" + loader + ".bmp";
ILholder = loader;
texture = ilutGLLoadImage(ILholder);

return texture;
}

I'm wanting the std::string to do the concatenation. ILholder is a char *, which is what ilutGLLoadImage takes as a parameter. However, I can't get ILholder to be assigned loader. Also, I don't want to use const char *'s so that I can just make one, and not have to make a new one every time I call LoadGLTexture (which I do once a frame), because it's my understanding that'll drastically slow my program down.

Okay, so (a) you need a string concatenation method and (b) you're just trying to interact with a function that should have its parameter declared const if it wasn't trying to be old-C compatible.

You can cheat in that case, I suppose :).

#include <sstream>

// ...

GLuint LoadGLTexture(const std::string &loader)
{
// ...

std::ostringstream sstr;
sstr << "Data/" << loader << ".bmp";
std::string str(sstr.str());

return ilutGLLoadImage(const_cast<char *>(str.c_str()));
}

People have been complaining about this problem with DevIL for years (including Muhammad Haggag in 2003). I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed yet.

Quote:

Also, I don't want to use const char *'s so that I can just make one, and not have to make a new one every time I call LoadGLTexture (which I do once a frame), because it's my understanding that'll drastically slow my program down.

This hasn't got to do with your original question, but if you call LoadGLTexture() each frame you will have a slowdown, but you can be sure that copying a string won't be the cause of it.

Quote:
Original post by Prototype
No, no, no. You should never cast away constness like that, even if you're 'sure' that your function never modifies the data. You are just undermining the security features of the language if you do that.

Yea, I know that. I guess I should have added a 'but don't do this' message.
Quote:
You shouldn't modify the data directly.

Oh wait, I did [razz]

Quote:
Original post by Prototype
If you really want to modify it, make a copy or else just have your function take a const char* as well.

Seems like I covered that as well.

And in the end, casting away constness was the answer [razz] (although using a C++ cast instead of a C cast.)

Hello EmrldDrgn,

Actually it is very simple to do what you want. Just add one more line that makes use of a C Standard Library string copier function strcpy.

I did not see a declaration for ILholder in your original code so I added my own.

#include <cstring>

GLuint LoadGLTexture(std::string loader)
{
ilInit();
iluInit();
ilutRenderer(ILUT_OPENGL);
ilutInit();

loader = "Data/" + loader + ".bmp";
char* ILholder = new char[loader.length()];
texture = ilutGLLoadImage(strcpy(ILholder, loader.c_str());
delete []ILholder;

return texture;
}

strcpy is a function from the cstring header file. It basically does a copy from a char array to another char array. Its return value is the final char array pointer.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Joshua

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!