Drunk effect

Started by
13 comments, last by nOObie dev 17 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I wonder how you would simulate the effect of driving a car, with a little too much alcohol in your blood ? The problem is that if we try to distort / blur the image too much, people feel really unconfortable : they are sober when then see the images, and they don't "accept" it. For the moment, I add a sort of overlay that progressively reduce the viewport, and I play with the FOV to simulate the effect of the alcohol (the field of view is reduced when we drank too much) Do any of you have any suggestion on what effect I could use ? (keeping in mind that the user shouldn't react like "no, that's really not like that when I'm drunk !!") Thx in advance :)
Advertisement
You could darken (and desaturate) the corners of the screen to simulate the tunnel-vision that I usually get when drinking to much ;)

It would also be a good idea to make a field trip to the nearest pub and ask the local drunks some questions, or even more creative join them....

Well, alot of movies do first person perspective hangovers. One common thing seems to be an extreme version of fake motion blur. So, previous frames get "burned in" and then fade out as the view changes.
I already darken the edges. That's the "overlay" stuff I spoke about ^^
The "motion blur" could also be a good idea ! I'll need to think how I will implement that in our framework though :/

Thx for the help
The game "Carmaggedon" used some weird camera-movement during the "drunk effect".
Means zooming the camera forward and backward while driving.
It also "enhances" the car behaviour which requires very sensitive steering. ;)

good luck
I don't have experience with drunken driving, but from other things I 'learned' with alcohol...

- (motion) blur
- tunnel vision like eq said
- change controls. or use delays so the car doesn't respond that quickly
- In case you use something like tone-mapping, adjustment to bright/dark area's goes slow and difficult
- Move and twirl the camera a little bit around
- maybe distort the screen a little with some HUD refract filter
- I don't know, but when I'm drunk it seems like I loss a lot of frames per second. Maybe you can implement that too somehow. Keep running the animation, but drive the car to a different direction then you actually are doing. The screen gets darker and darker, And then suddenly the car is on a different position and the screen is brighter again (you wake up).

Succes with your drunken driving,
Rick
Quote:Original post by spek
I don't know, but when I'm drunk it seems like I loss a lot of frames per second.

Now thats a funny-ass quote.

I recently accidentally made a very disorientating effect by multiplying the projection matrix by a scaling matrix.

Although I think the effect is probably more like some seriously strong drugs
Quote:Original post by Override
I recently accidentally made a very disorientating effect by multiplying the projection matrix by a scaling matrix.

Do you have a screenshot ? You just made something like SetProjectionMatrix(projectionMatrix * scaleMatrix) ??

And thx for all the suggestions. I appreciate ^^
I'd say its pretty hard to simulate purely visually. By the time you have serious visual side effects of drinking, your reaction times and coordination are going render you almost incapable of driving.

Personally I'd say the route to go would thourgh the input system (introduce artifical latency into the controls).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement