[.net] Setting up for WPF development

Started by
5 comments, last by Promit 17 years, 8 months ago
I'm trying to set up my environment to do some work with the Windows Presentation Foundation. I'm using Windows XP (SP2) and Visual Studio 2005, but what do I need to download in order to get started with building and running applications?
Advertisement
Clicky

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

For more of the programming end, take a look at the .NET Framework 3.0. You'll want to download the June CTP, since it has a corresponding package for VS.NET 2005 development (the July CTP does not). I'm doing development with the June CTP right now and would be happy to answer any questions you have.
Quote:...You'll want to download the June CTP, since it has a corresponding package for VS.NET 2005 development (the July CTP does not). I'm doing development with the June CTP right now and would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Ah thanks, I was trying to get something running with the July CTP which may have been causing me some problems. However I need a little more help, I'm missing something because I've just tried to compile a sample from the June CTP and VS terminated the application, complaining about discrepancies in certain DLLs (D3D9.dll, PresentationCore.dll, etc.)
Unfortunately, I haven't done anything with Direct3D and WPF. I do remember having some trouble upgrading to the June CTP with receiving mismatched version errors. A few uninstall - restart - reinstall - restart sequences fixed it. I wonder if Visual Studio caches the GAC or something.
Shameless plug: www.airknow.com

WPF tutorials!

:)
First of all, make sure you match up all the right versions of the various SDKs, because otherwise things are going to be really kind of painful. Note that all your assembly versions need to be 3.0.something. This reflects the rebranding to .NET 3.0. Also be aware that a couple of the SDKs have cross dependencies; if you're uninstalling for whatever reason, you have to do it in exactly the right order, or some things will be left un-uninstalled. If you botch that (which I did pretty much every single time) then there is a cleanup tool to save you, which I find the link to if needed.

Second, my team hasn't moved to new CTPs yet, but for the Feb CTP, the VS XAML designer doesn't work. So if you get crazy errors while trying to use it, don't be surprised. We're writing all our XAML by hand (which is actually not a terribly difficult task). If it does work, then great.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement