• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
futergamemaker

what hardware/software is needed to make a 3D MMORPG on a console?

This topic is 4404 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i plan on making a 3D MMORPG someday (like 10 years from now). So what software is needed to have a sucessful game like this? try to show the total budgets plz...also does anyone have an idea of how to order thi linux kit for console programming?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by futergamemaker
i plan on making a 3D MMORPG someday (like 10 years from now). So what software is needed to have a sucessful game like this?

In 10 years time the answer to this question will likely be radically different, so I'm not sure how accurate of an answer can be given.

Agreed. It's great that you have a goal, but you have to realize that technology industries move quickly and trying to plan now for something you're going to start in ten years (which would then be finished -- assuming you even could -- in around three, so we're talking a total of thirteen years lag time) is pointless. Your game would be so out of date that it would not sell a single copy.

Spend your time focusing on what is important now -- learning how to program.

As for your second question, the PS2 Linux kit is no longer available. You might try eBay if you really want it (I would not recommend it, however, there's no reason to waste your money on it).

It is impossible for you to obtain an official means of developing for any other existing console. The kits are not retail products, and pricing and sales are generally discussed only with successful development studios behind closed doors and under NDA. However, the Console, Cell Phone, and PDA forum here can link you to unofficial development solutions for some consoles (though I don't neccessarily recommend console programming to a beginner).

Quote:

wjen i said 10 years i was trying to realistic as to how long it may take me to even start such a game

I know. But that doesn't change my answer. Ten years from now, the budgets will be higher, the tools will be different, the technology will be different, et cetera. There's no point in knowing what they are are, because they'll be different in ten years.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!