• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

A thought and a question

This topic is 4224 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. So here I am. A game lover and a dreaming programming freak, trying to develop a game wich I probably will never finish. It's a nice hobby, if I find enough time. I started a new VC++ project, added the meshes.cpp from the tutorials and decided that I'm going to use this as a starting point for my creation(?) With the help of the documentation and you folks, I've added some some classes (CStaticShape and CLight). That was fun, because those were the first clases I have ever made (in C++). The problem with me is that I want to expand the progam too fast, add input, add sound, add ect... I better not do that, and finish the existing classes right? The reason that I do this is because I have no clue where I will go. Ok, I have a plan, an idea of what I want to achieve, but I do not know the path. I know a bit of what is required, but I lack the experience. To get the big picture I would really like to read a detailed document of how a 3D world can be organised. I don't mean about the transformations or coordinate system, but about loading scene parts and/or objects. I played the game GTA for the Xbox and I saw that it is possible to walk though a BIG city without ever loading for a new area (being outside that is). That is exactly what my game needs! If any of you folks know where I can find such document please tell me. Well these where just a thought and a question. Thanks for reading it. MarauderX

Advertisement
I know exactly how you feel, and I do the same thing sometimes. I have this great plan for a big game, but my code becomes so hard to manage I end up leaving it unfinished. I have been a lot better lately about planning things out in my last few projects. I studied Software Engineering and that helped some, but there needs to be more attention paid to structuring games. I have started a RTS game that is really coming along well, but I am unsure about a few design choices. I ask question anywhere I can to get advice. GameDev is an excellent place to do that. I also found a book Software Engineering for Game Developers on Amazon.com. I would like to know if anyone recommends this book for the problem we are having?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1592001556/ref=wl_it_dp/102-1922065-3928928?%5Fencoding=UTF8&colid=D5C0NZZX69DI&coliid=I1M24SF7XSBSLO&v=glance&n=283155

That book looks interesting. I will try to find it this weekend. If it looks cool I´ll buy it. Thanks.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement