• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
-JetSirus-

Pointer issues...

This topic is 4494 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, what I am trying to do is pass a pointer to an array of structs to a fucntion of mine. The issue I am running into is actually making a pointer 'point' at the array. I have looked around and can't find a lot of info. The program compiles and runs, but when I try and use the function I get an access violation. Here is the function:
bool LoadFile(CHAR_INFO *buffer[], string fileName)
{
    ifstream fIn(fileName.c_str());
    if(fIn.is_open())
    {
        WORD singleAtt;
        char singleChar;
        int loopCount = 0;
        int stringNum = 0;
        bool isAtt = false;
        bool isChar = false;

string line = "";

while(fIn >> line)
        {
            if(isAtt == true)
            {
                loopCount++;
                if(ConvertString<int>(stringNum, line, dec))
                {
                    buffer[loopCount]->Attributes = stringNum;
                }
                else
                {
                    return false;
                }
                isAtt = false;
            }
            else if(isChar == true)
            {
                loopCount++;
                if(line == "SPACE")
                {
                    singleChar = ' ';
                }
                else
                {
                    singleChar = char(line.c_str());
                }
                buffer[loopCount]->Char.AsciiChar = singleChar;
                isChar == false;
            }
            if(line == "Attributes:")
            {
            isAtt = true;
            }
            else if(line == "Character:")
            {
            isChar = true;
            }
        }
    }
    else
    {
        return false;
    }
}

I don't know if I am even declaring the funtion correctly. I want to modify the outside array, so a pointer seems the best way to handle things. The array I have is declared like so: CHAR_INFO consoleBuffer[80*50]; A CHAR_INFO type holds the following: union{wchar UnicodeChar, char AsciiChar}char; WORD Attributes; I didn't make the union, its part of the Windows.h file. From the code I have listed, how would I do the following: 1: Init a pointer to the array consoleBuffer. Explain it in words a 3 year old could understand. :p 2: Pass that pointer into my function. 3: Assign values to elements in the struct of the pointer array. I have attempted #3 in my function as you can see but I have no idea if that is the correct way to do it. Looks like: buffer[loopCount]->Char.AsciiChar = singleChar; To me that seems right, but like I said I get access violations, which leads me to belive my pointer is going haywire. The sad part is I don't even know how to use my own code!! How pathetic.... Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Do you realize that an array *is* a pointer? Specifically, a pointer to the first element of the array? int* x and int x[] is the same thing. In other words, when passing an array to a function, there's no need to pass by reference. When you pass an array by value, you *are* passing by reference.

Quote:
Original post by Wiggin
Do you realize that an array *is* a pointer? Specifically, a pointer to the first element of the array? int* x and int x[] is the same thing. In other words, when passing an array to a function, there's no need to pass by reference. When you pass an array by value, you *are* passing by reference.

OH GOSH! I had no idea! Let me change my code around and see I can get it to work.

If you do pass by reference, you can muck things up by passing a pointer to the pointer to the first element, and then trying to access an element before dereferencing. In other words, an access violation.

Quote:
Original post by Wiggin

That's not quite true. An array is more equivalent to a constant pointer (int a[] -> int * const p), and it also has a different size. sizeof( a ) is the size in bytes of the entire array, while sizeof( p ) is the size of the pointer. When passing an array to a function, it can decay to a pointer:
void ByPointer( CHAR_INFO buffer[] ); (implicit)
which is equivalent to void ByPointer( CHAR_INFO * const buffer );
Or you can do void ByPointer( CHAR_INFO *buffer );, if you want to "iterate" your array with that identifier.

You can also pass an array to a function by reference, thereby avoiding the decay (and preserving size information):
template< size_t size >
void ByReference( CHAR_INFO ( &buffer )[size] );

That said, you can avoid the syntax issues by using an array wrapper such as boost::array:
template< size_t size >
void ByWrapper( boost::array< CHAR_INFO, size > &buffer );

jfl.

[Edited by - jflanglois on July 28, 2006 9:42:27 PM]

Well I don't get an access violation anymore! Thanks for that info, I had NO IDEA. Sadly thouhg my program just exits when I try to use that function now. Heheh. Im still at the stage of programming where you type a bunch of stuff up, cross your fingers and hit compile. I may not be reading the file back in correctly. The file looks like so:

Attributes: 16 Character: D
Attributes: 16 Character: SPACE
Attributes: 16 Character: Û

As you can see I am trying to read in white space seperated words. When the word == "Attributes:" I assing 16 (or whatever) to buffer.Attributes. When the word == "Character:" I assing the 'D' or ' ' or whatever else might be listed to buffer.Char.AsciiChar. I am looking over my logic and stuff now, is there something wrong with it that I am missing?

Quote:
Original post by -JetSirus-
Well I don't get an access violation anymore! Thanks for that info, I had NO IDEA. Sadly thouhg my program just exits when I try to use that function now. Heheh. Im still that the stage of programming where you type a bunch of stuff up, cross your fingers and hit compile. I may not be reading the file back in correctly. The file looks like so:

Attributes: 16 Character: D

As you can see I am trying to read in white space seperated words. When the word == "Attributes:" I assing 16 (or whatever) to buffer.Attributes. When the word == "Character:" I assing the 'D' or ' ' or whatever else might be listed to buffer.Char.AsciiChar. I am looking over my logic and stuff now, is there something wrong with it that I am missing?

I suggest you simplify your file format to something implicit. The above would be like (note that where it's blank is actually a space):
D

Û
Û

And then you can use formatted input for the numbers, and ifstream::read() for the character.

[edit] Your function would now look like:
bool LoadFile( CHAR_INFO buffer[], std::string const &fileName ) {
std::ifstream fin( fileName.c_str() );
if( !fin.is_open() )
return false;

WORD attrib = 0;
char ch = 0;

for( int unsigned i = 0; fin >> attrib; ++i ) {
fin.ignore();
fin.read( &ch, 1 );
buffer.Attributes = attrib;
buffer.Char.AsciiChar = ch;
}

return true;
}

[Edited by - jflanglois on July 28, 2006 9:53:55 PM]

Quote:
Original post by Wiggin

If an array was a pointer, it would be pointing to an address of a variable of type; int. An array is the object - or variable - you will be manipulating, while, a pointer is pointing at an object you will be manipulating (once'd assigned to).

- An array name yields the address of itself.
- An pointer name yields the address of another variable (once initialized that is)

- xeddiex

Thanks to everyone. As soon as I get home and get to a 'real' IDE I will fidget around with this code. If I can magically get it to work I will post the code here. Im a n00b clear to my bones on some things. Learning as I go though, so all is well.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!