Could Someone Lend me some insight

Started by
9 comments, last by Id10t 17 years, 8 months ago
Hello, Here I am a new fish in the giant pond with a lot ot digest as far as teh dynamic of programming and it's client / server flow. So having said that I am in need of a little community aid. Let me start you off with the premise of my basic backbone and what leads me to my questions. Basically, I need to understand the process by which I could have a basic GUI client connect to a server which would then allow the user that is now connected to the server to connect to other players ala battle net. Once connected to the battlenetish master server the clients would be able to create their own games and connect to each other in multiples. Thereby allowing 1 person to host a game for say 16 people. Ideally. this would also have voice over Ip capabilities. I am not asking for the programming but just the basic flow chart I would need to follow so I could get started learning the basics that I would need to create this for myself.
Advertisement
Please, consider helping me out - folks.
What language are you using? What platforms?
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
I am gathering the information to decide on the language. What language do you think would work best with this, I am considering using c# for windows platform.
What langauges do you know?
I am really just getting started with the basics but I want a floor plan to follow. I know a bit of C++, C#, and a little VB... I am by no means however a pro at any of the aformentioned. I would greatly appreciate any insight that you would have to share with me to lay some ground work. Not looking for code as much as a basic outline in what I will need to work on. :) A flow chart persay =)
I would strongly suggest that you familiarize yourself before attempting to learn both a GUI library and a networking library.

If you are determined to do it the hard way though, I would personally go with Win32 and once I had learned that use WinSock. However, C#.Net should work just as well. I haven't done any networking myself, so I can't speak as to which is better than the other or what have you.

Once again, I strongly suggest you get more familiar with one langauge and then start networking in that. If you don't much background you will be fighting an uphill battle.

Best of luck!
Yeah, ts gonna be tough but I am gonna dive into the unkown and if I fail. I will learn from it and overcome it next time. =)

Thanks for your input. If you get the chance or anyone reading this to give a flow chart or any other information - toss it out to me :)
My votes for C#.

With that you can use sockets, or even http streams communicating with a native SOAP api with xml if this is going to be more of a lobby then anything.
Nice,I appreciate your input Paul. Any chance you could hook me up with a flow chart for planning purposes? I want it to act a lot like Battle.net does for Diablo or any of the Warcraft Series (Not World of Warcraft) :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement