Security concerns for a server?

Started by
4 comments, last by eedok 17 years, 8 months ago
I've been writting a multiplayer game, and have finished it enough to let my friends test it. But I'm wondering if running the server on my computer is safe. Is it posible someone could hack into my computer if the server isn't secure? I didn't write the server with security in mind, and although I tried to prevent things like buffer overruns, I know very little about writting secure applications. The server is written with C# using the .NET Sockets for it's networking, if that's important.
Advertisement
You could always look online how to make your code more secure, it is a pretty straight forward concept. There is some things that might be more obscure related to secureing it. What difference does it make if it is your "friends" though?

Besides I think the C# language is a rather secure language anyways. It's not like C++ where you can have a lot more problems.
It's not my friends that I'm worried about. Since it will be running over the Internet anyone could connect to the server. It seems pretty unlikely to me that someone would find out about it and then try to hack it, but don't want to risk it if there's a chance of someone actually gaining access to my computer (I don't care if they're able to hack the server application).
It is probably possible depending on how C# interfaces with winsock, and how you wrote your code. That said, nobody in the world is going to go through the trouble of figuring out where the exploit might be when there's so many other easy targets out there.
Ok, cool. Thanks for the help!
on the server there's only 4 things I remember having to worry about
1. Buffer overruns
2. DOS/DDOS protection
3. Authetication
4. Backups(sometimes not necessary)

I would be more worried about the clients that connect to the server though as they're more likely to get hacked, it's usually a good idea to have the game logic happen at the server level so it can't be as easily hacked.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement