loading *.blend files directly, is it possible?

Started by
3 comments, last by knowyourrole 17 years, 8 months ago
just wondering, I'm learning 3d and blender is what I'm currently using. and I want to be able to make something in blender and load it right away. if not then could anyone point me to how to load something blender exports, or to a good free modeller that and how to load that. thanks if anyone can help.
Advertisement
blender is open source application so probably you will find format description if not in some documentation file then in source code. you could even use parts of blender code (if license allows) to read files (this might require separation from whole blender code).

blender has already exporters for most popular file formats (3ds,x,...), some more can be found on net (there is some forum with plugins section, can't remeber its name). there are a lot of libraries that can read 3ds files due to its popularity.
you can use directx x files in text form as they are very easy to load into application (just export some model to directx x file and open notepad to see how simple that format is)

alternatively you can learn python and write exporter in it (no need for compiler, blender interprets plugins when used). just try to read code of other exporters to create own format.
okay, I'll keep looking.

I tried to look at the source once, but it was in a .rar or some sort of file I have no idea how to use, oh well.

A rar is an archive, www.tugzip.com
Have a look here if you're interested in writing your own little export script for blender.

It's very basic, but using the console in blender, like the page shows you, its easy to find all the data you need and export it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement