Looking to compose for a game.

Started by
10 comments, last by Will Roget 17 years, 8 months ago
Hi :) I'm very interested in composing for video games. There are many wonderfull composers here. My arrangement skills are not as good as some others here. But please check out a couple of my songs and tell me what you think: http://media.putfile.com/Adventure-Theme (this needs finishing) http://media.putfile.com/WIP-44 (this is the beginning of a battle theme) http://media.putfile.com/BattleWIP (A short western intro theme song from a request) http://media.putfile.com/western-theme So what do you think? Do I need more pratice before I try to compose for games? I would love to work on a composing project if anyone is interested. [Edited by - Jashan on July 29, 2006 6:54:10 AM]
Advertisement
I was unable to play the files. On am on a Mac, OSX.
Sean Beeson | Composer for Media
www.seanbeeson.com
These are actually pretty good! Which programs did you use?

-Stenny

Sean:
Putfile uses windows media player, so that's why you can't hear them.
What do I expect? A young man's quest to defeat an evil sorceror while discovering the truth of his origins. A plucky youngster attended by her brutish guardian. A powerful artifact which has been broken into a small number of artifactlets distributed around the world.What do I want? Fewer damn cliches. - Sneftel
Thank you :) I used Sonar LE and EWQLSO Gold for most of the samples.
Your music doesn't sound bad at all and you don't need practice before composing for a game. If anything, if writing for games is your interest it's good for you if you write for games while training your general compositional abilities. Try to find a team that's learning, too that you can develop yourself with. Anyway, here are a couple quick things you could do that would improve your chances without too much trouble:

For the music, you know to make it less static. Each individual instrument needs more variety in its dynamics. With EWQLSO, this means you need to make more use of varying note velocities, and using your CCs. With Sonar, that's as easy as drawing lines in the bottom pane of the piano roll view. Similarly, have some more variety in your dynamics - rather than keeping each instrument in the same level in the mix throughout the piece, have different instruments rise and fall in prominence. You can do all this without changing any of the actual music.

Next, get your own website. The cost is trivial - $9/year for the domain plus $2-5 a month for cheapo hosting. For just having a few files, you can get away with the cheapest host you can find. Then put up a simple .html page with some info about you. That's all I've done, using a free template. It would be better if you had a more elaborate website with streaming music, etc., and you can see plenty of examples of this from other composers here. Just having a website in the first place tells potential employers that you take yourself seriously. Put the music in a format accessible for all platforms - meaning probably .mp3 for downloading or flash player for streaming.

After that, lead off with your best, polished tracks. Don't use work-in-progress tracks. Of course, if your music is steadily improving you'll want to have your newest stuff in there. The way I deal with this is that every time I complete a track I excerpt a 30-60 second track for a montage. I keep my montage full of whatever my favorite tracks are at the moment and put that first in an ad.

This isn't the right forum for finding work. The people who post and read this forum are people who make music and sound for games and others in game development only come here infrequently. There are several other forums on this site where you'll have better luck hitting a general audience.

Hope that helps and I didn't put in too much!
Music and sound for interactive media: http://www.jervinmusic.com
Ah, thank you very much Jervin for such great advice :) I will try to work on those things, I really want to get better. So which forum would be better to find game makers looking for music?

Thanks for the post, it helped a lot! :)
there is a forum called help wanted. I got some luck finding projects to work on...although they have all not yet been started so I've just been waiting for them to give me the green light to actually start composing. Dont expect payment yet for these initial jobs they are just good practice and resume builders.
Jim Welch
WelchCompositions
Ah ok, thanks. Oh yeah of course I wouldn't expect payment, just the experience would be great.
Hi Jashan,

I just listened to all of your tracks. Well done!! I really like how each of your songs has a different approach. This shows your musical maturity and versatility.

You used Sonar and EWQLSO Gold for these samples? In addition to what Jervin said about variety in dynamics, I'd also work on the mix and the patch selections. Since you're using EWQLSO, which is an excellent sampler, you have the potential to make almost authentic sounding pieces. No offense, but these files don't come that way. I'm not sure if it’s the way it’s mixed, the sample patches your picking or the lack of variety in dynamics (both within the actual playing of each part and the overall scheme of the piece). This should be a pretty easy fix- and I really think you should do this because the actual music you're writing is good! Some flute samples, for example, don't work well for certain kinds of writing. Take the time to search through the patches and find one that will be better suited, or use the keyswitch utility. The sound that is being produced is what's keeping it back (in my opinion). Also try and consider panning left or right. Everything sounds centered to me right now.

You have great ideas, it just needs more polish.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Ah alright, thanks :) I'll keep that in mind. About the panning, I thought qlso instruments automatically pan themselves to the correct place? I could check and work on it more though :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement