XFile's Skeletal animation and Skinned Meshes

Started by
1 comment, last by Karndth 17 years, 8 months ago
I export 3d max's model and its animation by plugin of panda. But I want to separate the xfile's "skeletal animation" and "skinned meshes". Becuase I want to use the same skeletal anoamtion with different characters(different skinned meshes,each character's bone structure is the same). Now I am reading the book "Advanced Animation with DirectX",but the book don't write the combination and separation of "skeletal animation" and "skinned meshes". Do any book or web talk about the combination and separation of "skeletal animation" and "skinned meshes"? Could someone tell me?
akira32 編程之家 Yahoohttp://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/akira32-akira32
Advertisement
Are the meshes just clones of each other? Why can't you export each mesh individually with the frame hierarchy and animation sets into their own .x file? Since you would have to create a new animationController and D3DXFRAME hierarchy for each mesh anyway, why not just let Max do the work?

Even though the animation sets create may be the same, the controller would have to be unique for each mesh, since each mesh would have to have its own D3DXFRAME hierarchy and each animation controller is connected to one D3DXFRAME hierarchy. When you load one mesh with a frame hierarchy and animation sets, DX internally creates the controller for it and registers the named bones of the frame hierarchy into the controller (see D3DXFrameRegisterNamedMatrices).
--------------------------Most of what I know came from Frank D. Luna's DirectX books
Have a look into Chapter 5 and 6.
He introduces 2 functions there:

// Load a skeletal mesh
LoadMesh(&g_Mesh, &g_Frame, g_pD3DDevice, "..\\Data\\tiny.x", "..\\Data\\");

and

// Load an animation collection
g_Anim.Load("..\\Data\\tiny.x");

The first loads the Mesh itself and the second the Animationdata. Its easy to load Mesh and Animation seperated that way. But you have to be careful to use the exact same Bonestructure and names in each Mesh.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement