• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Money of Open Source

This topic is 4224 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. How to earn money Open Source Development? Open source has a lot advantages like: - Popularity. - Rapid evolution. - People colaboration. - Open source products could be better than their comercial propietary countparts. (Linux Vs Windows, PHP vs ASP, Firefox Mozilla vs Explorer, Google vs Yahoo). - Multi-plattform. - Contribution of many developers around the world. - etc. etc. etc. But it could becomes a bussiness suicide for the authors!!! So if the technology market tends to be open, and free..... Where is the money?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by leoptimus
Google vs Yahoo
?

Quote:
Multi-plattform.
There's nothing stopping closed-source products from being multi-platform, and many are. There's also a huge number of open-sourced projects that have not been ported to multiple platforms.

Quote:
So if the technology market tends to be open, and free...
Does it?

Quote:
Where is the money?
Support services.

Quote:
- Popularity.

Closed-source is often just as popular.

Quote:
- Rapid evolution.

It's very rare that open source projects evolve faster.

Quote:
- People colaboration.

How is this an advantage?

Quote:
- Open source products could be better than their comercial propietary countparts. (Linux Vs Windows, PHP vs ASP, Firefox Mozilla vs Explorer, Google vs Yahoo).

And closed source products could be better than their open source counterparts, so this isn't an advantage.

Quote:
- Contribution of many developers around the world.

How is this an advantage?

Quote:
Original post by Kazgoroth
Quote:
Google vs Yahoo
?

I was thinking the same thing :P

If Google actually went open source, well, it would have a lot more competition

I've forgot include this material:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1836.asp

Well, I'm not so good putting reasons ( Google Vs Yahoo ? :D) but Open Source Grows and evolutes faster!! That's the fact Jack! And it easly can be at the leading edge of technology: because you don't have to pay a large budget for getting the lastest features; simply ask to all enthusiastic developers to join to your open source project.

Open source is communism. If you support open source, your a communist whether you realize it or not.

He he!!
I'm not communist, but I'm getting really scared with open source communism.

For a serius example, think about Virtools and Blender(Game Blender). Those products are far different, but offers the same services (A game making IDE ).
And for every body is very evident that Game Blender will surpass to Virtools in benefits and usability:
- Has a modeling tool (Virtools not)
- Free.(Virtools are near to $8k)
- Open Source.
- Shaders.

Then, very soon, game makers will chosse Game Blender over any commercial product.

Quote:
Open Source Grows and evolutes faster!! That's the fact Jack!

Fact? Why do you think so? I can see you're saying so, but do you have any real-world examples?

Quote:
And it easly can be at the leading edge of technology:

It can easily be, and most of the leading edge technology is often open source, because they are research projects.

Quote:
because you don't have to pay a large budget for getting the lastest features; simply ask to all enthusiastic developers to join to your open source project.

Take a look at the help wanted forum to look how real that is. People won't just join, also most people can only work a short amount of time on open source projects because they have jobs. Also this wouldn't be the reason for them to having leading edge technology, most technology could easily be implemented by a single developer.

Quote:
For a serius example, think about Virtools and Blender(Game Blender).

How about comparing Blender to one of the "real" modelling packages? Like XSI, 3D Studio Max or Maya. I could easily pick an open source modeller which is much worse than Virtools and Blender.

Quote:
- Has a modeling tool (Virtools not)

If you are going to compare modelling then you should really compare Blender to another modelling tool.

Quote:

Which also means you'll get no support.

Quote:
- Open Source.

Is this really an advantage? I need a modelling tool, not some source I can play with.

Quote:
- Shaders.

This doesn't make it better, it just have a single additional feature, which may or may not be useful.

Quote:
Then, very soon, game makers will chosse Game Blender over any commercial product.

The reason the haven't all ready is that Blender isn't as good as other commercial tools.

About money on open source games , it seems that you will find it on support and additional services like:
- Tournaments.
- Education.
- Adversiting.
- Security services for keeping personal information confidentially (I've just thought that).

More ideas?

A guy told me that in the near future you will find money on technology services. Not in technology goods.

Also, think about that every digital media are copiable. (At this time the music industry can't stop piracy)

Guest Anonymous Poster
almost everything you've said makes absolutely no sense. think before you post.

Quote:
- Tournaments.

Are the players going to pay to play in a tournament? Normally you try to win something.

Quote:
- Education.

Are we talking about support for a general application, or are the players going to pay to get access to the tutorial?

Quote:
- Adversiting.

I have a feeling many people would rather pay $5 for the application.

Quote:
- Security services for keeping personal information confidentially (I've just thought that).

So if people don't pay you, you will release all their personal info? I don't think you'll have lots of users.

Quote:
More ideas?

You shouldn't need to make money from open source, doing open source software for a living is almost impossible, and people are going to pay at some point anyway if you want money, so why not just let them pay from the start? Open source is definatly a good idea, it's widely used with research projects and there are a few pretty popular open source applications (Linux and Firefox being the most widely used), but it's nothing compared to commercial software.

Quote:
A guy told me that in the near future you will find money on technology services. Not in technology goods.

This is already true some places, and it will definatly be too much at some point. You can already see it on the web, it started out as small banners and text ads, now you get 2-5 flashing pop-ups, all with different sounds, every second word is high-lighted because it relates to some sold item.

Quote:
Also, think about that every digital media are copiable. (At this time the music industry can't stop piracy)

But we can stop anything where the user is required to connect to a server.

What I've told you may offends you, but belive it or not, it still have sense. It's real.

About music, I've thought the following:

- Why you buy CD's when you listen music on a MP4?
- Users will pay by downloaded songs only, and only if they love their artists so much.( Do you love Michel Jackson? :P )

- P2p sharing programs won't disappear, Never!! because they are Open Source ( OS Communism Strikes again!!!)

Quote:
What I've told you may offends you, but belive it or not, it still have sense. It's real.

I'm not offended, if you're refering to me.

Quote:
About music, I've thought the following:

- Why would you buy CD's when you listen music on a MP4?

Completely different topic, you mean illegal mp3s? I would buy music because I consider it wrong to steal, music isn't even that expensive.

Quote:
- Users will pay by downloaded songs only, and only if they love their artists so much.( Do you love Michel Jackson? :P )

Many people go to the store and buy music, that's the reason musicians can still get money for what they do.

Quote:
- P2p sharing programs won't disappear, Never!! because they are Open Source ( OS Communism Strikes again!!!)

If the government really wanted to, it could. Make ISP ban all these sites, require users to scan for these programs (Microsoft could be forced to put it in Windows), start suing more pirates, the government might lose money put people will stop doing it.

Quote:

Quote:
Open Source Grows and evolutes faster!! That's the fact Jack!

Fact? Why do you think so? I can see you're saying so, but do you have any real-world examples?

- Wikipedia makes Microsoft Encarta out of competition.!!
- OpenOffice is currently a great adversary for Microsoft Office.
- Linux domains most of the web servers.
More? there are a lot of real-world examples.

Quote:

If you are going to compare modelling then you should really compare Blender to another modelling tool.

Quote:

The reason the haven't all ready is that Blender isn't as good as other commercial tools.

That is for comparing game development IDE tools, not modellers. But if blender is a modelling tool then it is an advantage because you have All in one product.

About modelling Blender isn't good and isn't worse as other commercial tools. Simply it is different: it just has another modelling style (Short Key driven). Difficult ? If you can learn Maya, you can easly learn Blender.

Also,its results are as good as the obtained with commercial packages.
OpenFX is another good modelling tool example.

Quote:

Quote:

Which also means you'll get no support.

If you can understand the source, you can support yourself!!

Quote:

quote:

If the government really wanted to, it could. Make ISP ban all these sites, require users to scan for these programs (Microsoft could be forced to put it in Windows), start suing more pirates, the government might lose money put people will stop doing it.

Government can't control everything, Government can't control to anybody. And not all the countries work in same way; may there are countries that have some tolerance with piracy (China? who knows!).

And if Microsoft puts a P2P block patch in Windows, then people will move to Linux!!

leoptimus some of your posts are rather hard to understand, but anyway in regards to the original topic. I guess if you want to make money on open source / free applications or games then you have to go with advertisement or pay for additional features like support or advanced tools.

I remember reading some post from the creator of Eternal Lands where he said that once you attract a decent community to your game you can earn some money on advertising. Also for a game you could sell additional features like special items (like flyff, http://flyff.gpotato.com/ ) and such which are only given to paying players (Well this is more for a free game rather than open source, even though it could be open source but on the "official" servers you have to pay for those items).

For an application advertisement and also paying for services is probably the best way to make money. Like paying for support or addons for the product. But remember when it is open source it is likely that any addon you make to sell will be replicated by the community and given away for free. And in addition to that you would probably have to share the profit with other people in the project, I doubt many people are happy to work on an open source project when only one member of the team is making a profit from it.

hmmmm, I don't really agree with any of the "facts" you are stating, but I am still interested in open-source, because I have been raised by a mother who is one of the most community conscious people I know, and thus I really enjoy the community aspect of it. Granted I'm not actually a skilled enough programmer to join any projects, yet I believe that when i am, I will take great pride in helping out the open source community. And i will not do it because I am after money.

Read the GNU Manifesto...
I know its more to do with strictly UNIX software, but the philosohpy is good...

I'm after the money too, and I'm not defending Open Source.

Just I wonder how the Open Source can be too powerful.

Take a look what happens to the Web industry: Open source takes the road; commercial propietary solutions on web development are very impopular; while Open Source software becomes more stronger and popular : Apache, MySQL, Postgree, PHP, Linux... etc.

If so, very soon open source will attack game industry.

Quote:

You shouldn't need to make money from open source, doing open source software for a living is almost impossible, and people are going to pay at some point anyway if you want money, so why not just let them pay from the start? Open source is definatly a good idea, it's widely used with research projects and there are a few pretty popular open source applications (Linux and Firefox being the most widely used), but it's nothing compared to commercial software.

If so, then You shouldn't think to Make Money from Propietary Software, if there are some Open Source products that offers the same than you. In that case doing such comercial products for living is almost impossible too, because you will loose, not only the market, but also your invested resources and money. Bankruptcy is worse than nothing.

Open source developers don't have anything to loose.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by MasterQ

Open source is communism. If you support open source, your a communist whether you realize it or not.

What a stupid reply from a M$ troll

leoptimus from what you are writing it seems you think open source will take over and noone will pay for software. The fact is that open source will most likely never take over completely and the reason for that is quite simple.

Businesses need some security when they get software, if they get open source it might be cheap but they might get no support, they have noone to complain to if it doesn't work and noone they can hold responsible if something happens. Small businesses might be happy with open source since it is cheap and they can't afford any other solution but any large corperation that can afford to spend money on their software will most likely not go for open source. Simply because they need the security and benefits that buying software gives.

Everyone here who has a rating > 1000 is offering services for free that otherwise could be sold and that's just as bad as open-source software, isn't it? What are you making your money with? What about the poor guys trying to earn money by telling other people how to develop games, you are driving them out of business too...

Quote:
Original post by Beider
Businesses need some security when they get software, if they get open source it might be cheap but they might get no support, they have noone to complain to if it doesn't work and noone they can hold responsible if something happens.

That's no contradiction to open-source, there are open-source products that are offered by companies like Sleepycat or Trolltech.

As far as I know Microsoft was never held responsible for any error in their products. So much for having someone to hold responsible.

Popularity To quote nine tenths of my university's students: "Why don't they install windows?" (note: our school network is a mix of Solaris and Fedora)

Open source evolving faster? There are so many open source and closed source projects out there, it's impossible to say that one side is evolving faster than the other. Look at how incomplete Mono currently is when compared to .NET (one should expect to find bugs in Mono whenever you dive past the shallow everyday use), or the sudden disappearance of NDoc and the absence of a new version supporting C# 2.0, or the time required for a non-vital patch to be accepted in any major Linux distribution if you want to convince yourself that open source is slower than open source. If you want to convince yourself of the opposite, look at all the new-generation features in KDE or Gnome that Windows lacks or the speed of vital patch acceptation and propagation.

Open source programs being better than their closed source equivalents? Closed-source programs are usually paying and have to compete with their free open source equivalents. Therefore, buyers of closed source programs (which we can assume not to be complete morons) see an advantage to the products they buy. Why do people use Visual Studio instead of emacs/gcc/gdb? You install VS and off you go, while emacs/gcc/gdb must be configured and adapted to your specific needs. Not to mention the integration of gcc and gdb in emacs (or any other combination of editor/compiler/debugger, for that matter) is lacking, at best. Why do people use SAS instead of STATA or R? Well, how many STATA or R developers have performed lengthy studies of the financial or banking world and their computing needs? Conversely, if someone tries to sell me an utility to count lines in my source code, I'll most likely laugh at them and move on.

Linux vs Windows I'm sorry sir, I'm afraid having to look for a driver on veryexperimentaldrivers.sourceforge.net and do a kernel recompile just to be able to use my wireless network is one point where Linux will not be better than Windows anytime soon. Hell, they're lucky to have NVidia drivers at all with all that "no kernel taint" zealotry.

PHP vs ASP I'm afraid PHP is almost nothing compared to ASP.NET 2.0. I mean: object-oriented infrastructure (I find the echo keyword kind of lacking object-orientedness), Atlas for snap-of-fingers AJAX, exceptions, perfect VS integration (with real-time debugging!), support for localization, the mere existence of the Viewstate...

P2P and filesharing DRMs exist for a reason. Whether you want it or not, legislation and developers are slowly moving towards the principle that you do not own everything in your computer's memory. While P2P sharing would still continue to exist, what would be shared? DRM-protected music can only be listened to on your computer, so sharing it would be possible but useless. Removing the DRM protection is becoming a crime, which the government can check for.

If you can understand the source, you can support yourself! Time spent supporting software costs (programmer wages, for instances). Paying another company to do the support is the only sensible thing to do when you're a professional. In the end, using Virtools will cost you money but no time, while using Blender will cost you no money, but a lot of time. Now, given the fast-moving industry we have today, I'd rather spend my money than my time, thank you.

Also, think about that every digital media are copiable And any human can be shot dead. What's your point?

Open source takes the road [about the web] Well, I'm sorry, but Open Source took the road. Apache having no real competitor invaded the entire market. What about now? ASP.NET is back with a vengeance.

Open source can replace Closed Source Well, no. Say a company like Boeing, Airbus, Société Générale, the London Stock Exchange, Toyota or any other needs a given program developed for them. Will they ask for an open source program that can then be used by their competitors? No.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement