Dev C++

Started by
4 comments, last by guyver23 17 years, 8 months ago
Hi! I am just now getting back into C++ programming, and Dev C++ was my natural choice, since I'v used it before. Since I don't quite know yet whether I want to sell what I make, I am concerned about the Dev C++ license. Does it allow me to sell or release a program without providing the source code if I so choose? My understanding of the license is that my programs won't have the GNU agreement unless I choose to do so, so I don't have to make my programs open source unless I choose to. Is this correct?
Advertisement
I think Dev-C++ lets you do whatever you want. I mean, they can't charge you for making a commercial game, thats not logical...[smile]
Hope I was helpful. And thank you if you were!
That's what I was thinking, but I don't want to end up developing something nice and then find out that it is tied to Dev C++'s license agreement. I would like to have the freedom to give it any kind of license I so choose.

Thanks for the post, btw. ^_^
Quote:When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not
price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for
this service if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it
if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it
in new free programs; and that you know you can do these things.

To protect your rights, we need to make restrictions that forbid
anyone to deny you these rights or to ask you to surrender the rights.
These restrictions translate to certain responsibilities for you if you distribute copies of the software, or if you modify it.

For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether
gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that
you have. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the
source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their
rights.

This is a quote taken from the Dev-C++ license, I hope this clears things up for you. [smile]
Quote:Original post by Asrai

This is a quote taken from the Dev-C++ license, I hope this clears things up for you.

That's refering to Dev-C++ itself. The GPL does not restrict what you use the program for, only redistribution of the program (Dev-C++) or the source of the program (of Dev-C++, again).

The compiler package used by Dev-C++ is GCC. It is licensed under the GPL, like Dev-C++.

The majority of the headers used by Dev-C++ are supplied by MinGW and are released as public domain. The libraries linked to by MinGW are Microsoft's and are generally supplied with Windows and have their own license. There are certain libraries supplied by Dev-C++ that are not quite as free, such as the profiling library (GPL). Do not redistribute the profiling library or something linked to it and you don't have to worry about its license (the GPL only deals with redistribution).

So, all-in-all: you can generally use Dev-C++ to develop for whatever purpose, license, commercial or not that you'd like.
Okay, thanks for the clarification. =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement