• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ToohrVyk

I need libraries

This topic is 4405 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been working in C# for a while now, so I've decided to finally take the step and develop a game in C#. I have a fairly good view of what I want to achieve, but I need suggestions about libraries which can I can use in C# 1.0 for this purposes. My project is a 3D RTS game. I need the following components:
  • Rendering (heightmaps, small models with skeletal animation, sprites, particle effects, GUI)
  • Sound (and music)
  • Networking
Naturally, I would prefer free libraries, and I do not mind "contagious" open source licenses (the game will be open source anyway). Thank you.

Advertisement
I've never used it (but I've come close to, and intend to look into it in the future), but the Tao Framework wraps a bunch of various libraries giving you C# bindings. It wraps OpenAL for your music. DevIL and various OpenGL libraries for your rendering and image loading. Networking, I am not sure. I have heard that C# socket programming is fairly straightforward, so you may be able to roll your own solution, depending on your project. Tao also wraps SDL. I know SDL has a networking component, but I am not sure if this is included in the C# bindings?

Hope that helps. Post back with what you find. I am interested in doing some C# project in the future that could benefit from these tools.

The ZBuffer has a nice list of engines using MDX.

Quote:
Original post by Doggan
I've never used it (but I've come close to, and intend to look into it in the future), but the Tao Framework wraps a bunch of various libraries giving you C# bindings.
Although Tao does allow you to use a good set of native libraries in your managed applications, it doesn't implement your 3D technology for you. If you're looking to create a game, the best thing to do is to use an engine or library that has already been proven to work with games. If you're looking to create an engine, then Tao would be a good place to look.

Quote:
Original post by Doggan
Networking, I am not sure. I have heard that C# socket programming is fairly straightforward, so you may be able to roll your own solution, depending on your project.
Yup, the .NET Framework's socket programming is extremely easy to use so Tao hasn't really come around to implementing a native networking library.

Quote:
Original post by Doggan
Tao also wraps SDL. I know SDL has a networking component, but I am not sure if this is included in the C# bindings?
SDL_net does have Tao.Sdl bindings (SdlNet.cs) [wink].

Quote:
Original post by ToohrVyk
  • Rendering (heightmaps, small models with skeletal animation, sprites, particle effects, GUI)

- Managed DirectX
Quote:
  • Sound (and music)

• - FMOD

Quote:
  • Networking

• - SDL? dunno really

these are free, ( fmod is free if you dont charge for the game i think)

hope that helps

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!