• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Accessing Binary Resources

This topic is 4314 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm trying to make a tetris clone using Dev-C++ and I know how to use resource scripts to store things like icons and cursors directly in my executable and access them using standard WIN32 functions. Now, what I was just wondering is if there is a way to access any binary file, like a Targa image file, after adding it to my resource script. My goal is to have one big executable file instead of having to ship my game with a whole bunch of image and sound files. I would appreciate it very much if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks

Advertisement
another way is to use very simple small program (bin2h or something like that, you can write it on your own) that converts normal files into c/c++ array that can be as any other array. this method is used by demomakers (scene demo, not game demo).
also consider using upx or another executable compressor (large executables are bad way of doing things)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!