OLD Vertex Buffer Extension Documentation?

Started by
4 comments, last by Zongo 17 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I am currently modding the Torque engine, and discovered that they used an OLD, aparently undocumented vertex buffer extension, I am trying to bring the code up to date and converting from this extension to ARB_vertex_buffer_object, however althought not quite cryptic, the old extension is different in parts, and it would really help me if I could get my hands on the extension documentation. I tried google, with no luck (seems like there is a project in sourceforge that uses the extension but nothing more), anyway, here are the functions I am looking documentation for: glAvailableVertexBufferEXT glAllocateVertexBufferEXT glLockVertexBufferEXT glUnlockVertexBufferEXT glSetVertexBufferEXT glOffsetVertexBufferEXT glFillVertexBufferEXT glFreeVertexBufferEXT Thanks!
Advertisement
Quote:glLockVertexBufferEXT
glUnlockVertexBufferEXT

GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array This extension is infamously known to have been used in some ID Software game, but never finalized. So you often see some vertex array code pepperred whith this extension.

Quote:
glAvailableVertexBufferEXT
glAllocateVertexBufferEXT
glSetVertexBufferEXT
glOffsetVertexBufferEXT
glFillVertexBufferEXT
glFreeVertexBufferEXT

I've got no idea where this EXT extension could be described. It looks like some alternate vertex array style API.

I can guess you can translate:
glAvailableVertexBufferEXT => glIsBufferARB
glAllocateVertexBufferEXT => glGenBuffersARB
glFillVertexBufferEXT => glBufferDataARB
glFreeVertexBufferEXT => glDeleteBuffersARB
Quote:Original post by Zongo
Quote:glLockVertexBufferEXT
glUnlockVertexBufferEXT

GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array This extension is infamously known to have been used in some ID Software game, but never finalized. So you often see some vertex array code pepperred whith this extension.
This isn't CVA. If you actually click through to your link, you'll observe that the functions CVA introduces are LockArraysEXT and UnlockArraysEXT.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Thanks, I'll look it up, I cross posted to the GG forums and apparently the extension is implemented on the OpenGL to D3D renderer, which I believe has its roots on ID Software. Seems like the name of the extension (not sure if official) is EXT_vertex_buffer.
Quote:Original post by Zongo
I've got no idea where this EXT extension could be described. It looks like some alternate vertex array style API.

I can guess you can translate:
glAvailableVertexBufferEXT => glIsBufferARB
glAllocateVertexBufferEXT => glGenBuffersARB
glFillVertexBufferEXT => glBufferDataARB
glFreeVertexBufferEXT => glDeleteBuffersARB

Thats losely what I am doing except glAvailableVertexBufferEXT purpose is to tell if there is space in memory left for a buffer, something ARB_vertex_buffer_object doesn't require.
Quote:Original post by Promit
This isn't CVA. If you actually click through to your link, you'll observe that the functions CVA introduces are LockArraysEXT and UnlockArraysEXT.

My bad. I thought I recognized these two calls but you're right, it's not CVA and probably all the functions come from one extension not referenced in the OpenGL registry.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement