Wii specs leaked at last

Started by
86 comments, last by Eelco 17 years, 8 months ago
Call me crazy but I'm still not impressed with anything on the XBOX 360. There isn't anything on it I want to play that I can't play on the PC. As for the PS3, I can't afford it(unless they release a new Final Fantasy Tactics on it ;D). So my money is going to the Wii regardless of it's specs. The PS2 won the last round in the console wars and it had the worst technical performance compared to the XBOX and the Gamecube but it had the most/best games, so processor speed, etc. really don't matter.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by maximAL
Quote:Original post by PumpkinPiemanThere will always be a dissapointment. This is the first time the console industry has actually exceeded the PC industry in power for the commercial audience.

...not really. it has pretty much been that way, since consoles exist.

Hahaha. Console power exceeding PC power? Tell me, what was in the Genesis for example? And what computers were current at the time? (And yeah, Genesis still had some great games for its time <3)

Edit:
Quote:
- The GPU of the Wii is identical to the GC’s but it is on average 1.5X faster.

WTF? How can it be 'faster' and 'identical' at the same time?
Quote:Original post by Zahlman
Hahaha. Console power exceeding PC power? Tell me, what was in the Genesis for example? And what computers were current at the time? (And yeah, Genesis still had some great games for its time <3)

let's take the SNES, which was released '90. maybe you should ckeck out what PC games were like back then, the console blew pretty much every PC away. the gfx effects like mode 7 or transparancy and the reasonable color depth blew away PC 16 color crap.
the PSX was released in '94 - the first voodoo cards came '96.

not to talk of the sales, PC games didn't start to sell well until somewhen in the early 90s, before and now (yes, now!) big money is made on consoles.
Quote:
- The GPU of the Wii is identical to the GC’s but it is on average 1.5X faster.

WTF? How can it be 'faster' and 'identical' at the same time?

i guess it's the same chip with higher clock speed?!
------------------------------------------------------------Jawohl, Herr Oberst!
no matter how unimportant you might think processing power is, this just seem to go completely against price-performance curve sensibilities. i get the feeling it could have been made twice as powerfull for one extra dollar in costs.

this thing is about twice as powerfull as a PSP. really, the only motive i can think of is carbon-dioxide emission reduction.
I like what Nintendo is doing. They are upgrading their SDK, not creating a new one. This will save developers time and money. The hardware is not as advanced as the PS3 or 360. This means less time and money spent on creating graphics and more focus on gameplay. New control schemes also mean new gameplay.

The effect of cheaper game development will be that game developers other than EA and Ubi will have a chance of being successful. More developers equal more innovative games for us.

Faster development time will translate to cheaper games. Nintendo is doing basically the same thing that they did with the Nintendo DS. The DS does not have very advanced graphics but it offers new gameplay and low priced games. The DS has sold more consoles and games than the PSP. It has more games, more developers, more innovation and cheaper games.

June 1988, Intel i80386, 32-bit, 16 MHz, 2.5 MIPS (integer only, floats needed expensive coprocessor)
October 1988, Sega Megadrive/Genesis, 16-bit, Motorola 68000, 7.67 MHz, 3.58 MHz Z80 for 8-bit compatibility mode, proprietary video coprocessor (VDP), Yamaha YM2612 audio coprocessor

I can't find any MIPS specs on the 68000, but back then it was considered a vastly superior chip to the 386. Couple this with the game-tailored video and audio coprocessors which PC's had yet to get, the Genesis wins hands down.

PC games didn't come anywhere close to consoles until 1993, when Doom came out. That's the point when people started thinking of using PC's as a mass game market.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Quote:Original post by lethalhamster
Woah... I saw the UK£ 150 and thought 'Wow! That's cheap!'. But when I went to Google I became very disapointed, UK£ 150 = 278.89500 US$. $280 seems like a lot of money for that. Sure, it's about half the price of a PS3 but who said that's still cheap. Way to expensive for me. I was hoping for about $200 or so.
They'll probably set a different price point for the US. $250 or less, I'd expect.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by Mithrandir

June 1988, Intel i80386, 32-bit, 16 MHz, 2.5 MIPS (integer only, floats needed expensive coprocessor)
October 1988, Sega Megadrive/Genesis, 16-bit, Motorola 68000, 7.67 MHz, 3.58 MHz Z80 for 8-bit compatibility mode, proprietary video coprocessor (VDP), Yamaha YM2612 audio coprocessor

I can't find any MIPS specs on the 68000, but back then it was considered a vastly superior chip to the 386. Couple this with the game-tailored video and audio coprocessors which PC's had yet to get, the Genesis wins hands down.

Although the 68K series was considered superior to X86 for some time, the Genesis used a plain vanilla ~8 MHz 68000 which is arguably not as powerful as a 16 MHz 386. The 68K did not have an FPU, either.

But you're essentially right, the Genesis was a superior gaming machine when it was released and stayed so for some years. PCs had the advantage of more RAM, arguably better number crunching capability, and perhaps higher resolution (640x480 vs. 320x224) but they lacked color resolution and the bandwidth and processing power necessary to render games.

Old-school 2D video game and arcade systems had dedicated tile and sprite hardware which took care of drawing, priorities, scrolling, and had some amount of flexibility to allow for interesting effects (by providing line and frame interrupts, for example.) You upload sprites and tiles and then simply provide the video processor with coordinates and a pointer to the image and it handles the drawing with correct priorities. Backgrounds are rendered out of tiles according to pointers in a name table. Scrolling is done automatically by supplying horizontal and vertical scroll values.

On a PC, you're given a frame buffer that you have to render to yourself. A puny 8 MHz 68K can't handle this and PCs had a hard time as well. It was a trade-off between performance and flexibility.

Arcade 3D hardware into the late 90's was better than PC 3D accelerators for the same reason. The Voodoo may have revolutionized the PC graphics industry but was rather quaint by arcade standards. IIRC, Voodoo was basically a textured polygon rasterizer whereas arcade hardware from the early 90's onward rendered entire models and performed the necessary viewspace transformations and lighting calculations automatically.

I developed a Sega Model 3 emulator using OpenGL and it was difficult to efficiently map the rendering process of the Model 3 to an architecture like OpenGL. Model 3 worked by having the PowerPC main processor send scene graph data to the GPU which referenced models (meshes) directly in ROM consisting of a collection of polygons with a variety of per-polygon attributes (which required all sorts of state changes for each polygon.) The developer who has since continued with the project, Ville, eventually worked around the problem by making use of vertex shader programs for T&L and pixel shaders for implementing the Model 3's rather nuanced texturing system. And this is hardware designed in 1995! Hardware T&L on PCs was a huge deal in what, 2000 or later?

None of this matters now, however, because economies of scale finally took hold and cutting edge PCs are indeed superior to consoles and arcades. :)
----Bart
Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
One would hope it would have been measured (however that is) as 2 to 2.5 times faster and stronger than the GC, as opposed to a slight improvement. Graphics != great games; Gameplay != great games. But Graphics && Gameplay == Great games. Sorry if this leads to offtopic discussion.

I disagree. Gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Graphics. Graphics can eat my ass.
Quote:Original post by Mattman
I disagree. Gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Graphics. Graphics can eat my ass.

Fine. Go port Splinter Cell to the NES. Who wants to place bets as to which version will end up the better game?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement