Which musical instrument should I learn ?

Started by
52 comments, last by Funkymunky 17 years, 8 months ago
I really hate people that play the guitar just to play it and seem cool. These people usually only learn a couple easy songs to impress people and thats it.

I myself play it because I love the sounds that it can produce, I love the music and the feeling from playing it, and I keep trying to get better at it. It's not an instrument, it's an extension of yourself.
Advertisement
Theremin.
I suggest the trumpet. It's low maintainence (just remember to drain the spit valve) and you only have three buttons to worry about. Also, you can play taps without changing the position of those three buttons.

Of course most importantly of all, you can live out the dream that I gave up on.

So, there you have it. It is all decided, you will be playing the trumpet. Good luck my son. [smile]
Programming since 1995.
I'd say stick with Bass to be honest. I've vered away from it recently in persuit of starting a band as a drummer, but I think I'm just going to go back to Bass, love it too much. If you find it boring to play, try playing something different on it. Knuckle down and get learning slap!

Could always learn Guitar, as everybody else has suggested, or just perhaps a Double Bass! Gotta love it! Actually, I just noticed, it needs to be portable. Nevermind.
Adventures of a Pro & Hobby Games Programmer - http://neilo-gd.blogspot.com/Twitter - http://twitter.com/neilogd
I find instruments like the flute, violin, and saxophone a bit boring to play alone.

I play the guitar and it's always fun playing it alone. I also play bass but never alone, only as an accompaniment instrument. Playing bass alone is pretty boring.

Other small instruments that are fun to play with alone are the harmonica and the piano (maybe an electric piano keyboard for portability). Someone also suggested Reason which is a very good idea. Learning to make music on a software like this is awesome.
Quote:Original post by deathtrap
I really hate people that play the guitar just to play it and seem cool. These people usually only learn a couple easy songs to impress people and thats it.

Yes, but one thing I love about guitar is that you can play songs that sound good after practically the first lesson. Learn G, A, C, Em, and D7 and you can have a great time at a bon fire. I know a lot of people look down on "cowboy chords" or "three chord wonders" but, fact is, that's all it takes to sound good on a guitar. (Not saying there isn't miles to go beyond that, just knowing those won't make you Santana, Clapton, etc.) I agree with the dislike of people who play guitar just to get laid (which does work), but I think it's fine to only learn a couple easy songs to have some fun around a camp fire.

The number one reason not to learn guitar: Everyone and their mother plays guitar. That's fine, until you want to jam. Not that you can't have a good jam with five guitars, but it'd be better with, for example, two guitars, a fiddle, a banjo, and a mandolin.

My recommendations:
1) Banjo. Slightly less portable than a guitar due to weight, but that's only for high end resonator banjos. Get a good open back or skip the tone ring and it'll be more inline with a guitar. A lot of fun solo, fits well with other instruments. Uncommon enough to be different.

2) Harmonica. Pro-quality harmonicas will run you at most $25 a pop, so it's a cheap option. It'll fit in your pocket so you'll never be without music. Does well on its own, but is at its best with a guitar or banjo. Definitely easy to learn: they say 10 hours of practice is enough to be as good as the pros, after that it's just a matter of expressing the song.

3) Ukulele. Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, 'nuff said (if I could say it).

I wouldn't recommend violin/fiddle, since that really doesn't fit your "easy to learn" requirement.
Trombone!!

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

I played sax for 7 years (back in middle school and high school).

For me, personally, I *love* improvisational jazz. And it isn't something you *need* others for, you can always practice to the practice background tracks ;-)

That said, it's difficult (for me, now, after no practice in quite a while) to enjoy playing for a very long period of time.

I've recently been trying to learn piano (again, had lessons when I was rather young, never got any good)
It's a freakin' awesome instrument to get lost in the huge range of music/moods you can get the keys to exude.
Unfortunately, that doesn't really fit your "portable" requirement, and you've tried it before (then again, so did I, but I picked it up (figuratively) again)
I also learned some guitar over the last 3 years, and since trying piano again, I'm blown away by piano *grin*

My 2 cents worth

-Michael g.

p.s. About the Saxophone thing, I played Alto, I can't comment on the others, but as someone mentioned, they paid ~600 for an entry level sax, it's not uncommon to pay ~1000 for the same thing. I was able to pick mine up (back in middle school) for 365. The pads were ok, but if you get a "good" deal on one, made sure you bring it into some professionals to have it repadded (maybe recorked too), and looked over for any other issues. Also, *do* pay for the nice/padded neckstrap, you'll never thank yourself though, unless you have to use the other type (which I did for several years :(
Quote:Original post by Thr33d
Unfortunately, that doesn't really fit your "portable" requirement

But one thing to keep in mind with pianos is that they're everywhere if you can stand it being a bit out of tune (which can be a good thing for that "honky tonk" sound).

Quote:
(then again, so did I, but I picked it up (figuratively) again)

[lol]
Hernia = bad
I vote that you pick up either classical guitar (like myself [wink]) or flute (an instrument I've always meant to learn).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement