[java] Question about passing info between classes.

Started by
1 comment, last by brinmalice 17 years, 8 months ago
I have 3 classes, the second of which instantiates a class that I need to be able to get access to from the 1st class. Is there any way to pass the class name to another class so I can get access to it or do I have to make intermediate methods to pass the required information to the 1st class? [Edited by - brinmalice on August 4, 2006 8:33:09 AM]
Advertisement
1) You could create static methods in the 3rd class to gain access to it anywhere.
2) You could setup methods in the second class to return a reference to the third.
3) You can reference 'public static' data members by referring to the class name

public class ClassOne {   public static void main(String[] args) {      ClassTwo two = new ClassTwo();            // Option 1 - Static      System.out.println(ClassThree.getValueStatic());      // Option 2 - By reference      ClassThree three = two.getClassThree();      System.out.println(three.getValue());      // Option 3 - Static by name      System.out.println(ClassThree.value();   }}public class ClassTwo {   private ClassThree three;   public ClassTwo() {      three = new ClassThree();      three.setValue(100);   }      public getClassThree() {      return three;   } }public class ClassThree {   public static int value = 0;   public ClassThree() {}   public void setValue(int value) {      this.value = value;   }   public int getValue(){      return value;   }   public static int getValueStatic() {      return value;   }}

It depends on what you're trying to do. Generally, you'd want to do things the second way unless you have a good reason to need the others. It's very easy to write terrible spaghetti code if you start referencing static members from all over the place.
Thanks for the help.
I just wanted to be able to be able to grab x y coords for a graphic as well as the string for graphics to load out of the individual classes to be passed into my draw loop.

;)

Thanks again!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement