Films: your favorite rarities

Started by
96 comments, last by Arild Fines 17 years, 8 months ago
Holy crap, how could I have forgotten The Gods Must Be Crazy??
____________Numbermind StudiosCurrently in hibernation.
Advertisement
Quote:Holy crap, how could I have forgotten The Gods Must Be Crazy??

thanks a lot, i had forgotten it until u mentioned it :(
Quote:and several other titles that boast sheer gore go right past me - do audiences really want that kind of entertainment?
ive always liked horror / gore + is often used in a humerous way. at the moment im digesting ~4 horror movies during the weekend (from 12am->5am sat + sun, nothing like watching horror alone in the dark)

americcan splendorfunny movie, the comics are crap though. esp watch the documentry included in the dvd, they interview the nerd guy + hes an even bigger nerd than hes portrayed in the film. perhaps the biggest nerd of all time (at the moment im watching the documentry
trekkiesand whilst there are nerds a plenty no one comes up to this guys level, also watching at the moment father ted series 2, "now what'll that be now ted"
who has watched "The Rare" movie?

lolz...
Visitor Q
A father, who is a failed former television reporter tries to mount a documentary about violence and sex among youths. He proceeds to have sex with his daughter who is now a prostitute and films his son being humiliated and hit by classmates. "Q", a perfect stranger somehow gets involved and enter the bizzare family who's son beats his mom, who in turn is also a prostitute and a heroin addict...

Thumbsucker
Justin throws himself and everyone around him into chaos when he attempts to break free from his addiction to his thumb.

i'm not really much of a movie person, but i think those two are rarities.
Quote:Original post by LessBread
Quote:Original post by irreversible
Dark Star (1974) - John Carpenter's student film, which almost made me fall asleep twenty times before the end, but eventually made up for all the amateurishness (even the inflatable-ball-for-an-alien) with the final few scenes. 2001: A Space Odyssey was inspired by this, btw.

Um, 2001: A Space Odyssey was made in 1968, 6 years before Dark Star. It seems to me that the inspiration flowed in the other direction.

Throw your old Newtonian thinking out the window and get with the times, man. With string theory and quantum physics, one should know better than to assume cause must preceed effect.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
It might depend on where you live if you find these movies as rarities or not,
but atleast they are not hollywood movies:
Svidd neger an interesting movie about how it is to be an african-sami and the odd culture of northern Norway
A Moment to Remember a quite good chick flick which also brings up some good reflections
When I turned nine a touching story of a nine year old who live in a poor community in Korea
The Sent-Down Girl tells a lot about how communist China can corrupt even the most innocent people.
Stalker portraits the Zone in a superb way, even though the movie might be VERY boring to some.
Otakus in Love . Japanese movies, odd as always. This time about a manga artist... which only work with unmodified rocks. The beginning of the movie is world class, but the second half is rather average. A unique style which I really enjoyed.

I might have some more rarities in my vote history at IMDB

[Edited by - UknowsI on August 10, 2006 9:21:20 AM]
Geez, there are so many. Can't remember them all.

I'm too lazy to make linkies, so here goes:

Donny Darko - Amazingly different

God's Must be Crazy - How can you not love this and it was made in my country.

Lola Rent (Run Lola Run) - Prefer the German version more. But the english one was cool.

Nightwatch - Prefer the original one in Dutch (I think) but Ewan Mcgregor is one of my favourite actors.

The Postman / Waterworld - I love Post Apocalyptic stories.

Tank Girl - AWESOME AWESOME, wanna get a DVD of this one.

Betelguese - This is just here for childhood nostalgia

October Sky - So motivating

Sling Blade - One of the best acting from Billy I've seen, this is a must watch.

Mall Rats / Empire Records - Makes me wanna be a teen again.

Amelie from Mont Martre (check the spelling) - The ultimate feel good movie.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Original Movie) - The series never came close.

12 Monkeys / Vanilla Sky - Movies the average person dislikes because they can't figure it out on their own.

Fifth Element - Just because Milla Javavovich looks so bloody stunning with Red Hair, the movie is also very enjoyable.

SPECIAL NOTE

Naked Lunch - The only movie I never finished just becuase it was too damn confusing.
Try, try and fucking try again.
Quote:Original post by smart_idiot
Quote:Original post by LessBread
Quote:Original post by irreversible
Dark Star (1974) - John Carpenter's student film, which almost made me fall asleep twenty times before the end, but eventually made up for all the amateurishness (even the inflatable-ball-for-an-alien) with the final few scenes. 2001: A Space Odyssey was inspired by this, btw.

Um, 2001: A Space Odyssey was made in 1968, 6 years before Dark Star. It seems to me that the inspiration flowed in the other direction.

Throw your old Newtonian thinking out the window and get with the times, man. With string theory and quantum physics, one should know better than to assume cause must preceed effect.

Haha - why, there you go, infidels. Science is the word of the future and time is next in line (right after thimbles) to become redundant.
Cidade de Deus (City of God). A true story about a hard life.

The breakfast club I remember this from when I was in school myself. I watched it the other day again for the first time in 10 years or so, on TV. It is an excellent movie I beleive, despite its "cheapness". Alot of troubles with being a teenager were portraited from various angles.

Once Were Warriors a drama about a family that are descendents from the Maori. The family suffers from alcoholism, violence and what not. Very good acting and a very touching movie.

Dogma no comments needed.

PS. Just watched V for Vendetta. Have not digested it completly yet, but imagine it will be in the list somewhere.

PS2. Dark city was already mentioned, so I left it out.
Domine non secundum peccata nostra facias nobis
How about High Strung, a very early Steve Oedekerk film which showcases him complaining about everything.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement