Sign in to follow this  

Having trouble with SDL template

This topic is 4178 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Okay, so I downloaded the template and installed it onto my computer, as well as installing all of the bin and lib folders, then I create a new project. Write a short little test program, and I keep getting the same error. "Could not find the entry point SDL_strlcat in the SDL.dll" The SDL.dll is both in my system32 folder and the project folder, yet I still get the error, and it's off the template too. Any Ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The error message you are getting makes me believe that you do not have your main() correctly implemented. The entry point of an SDL program is the int main(int argc, char args[]) function. Basically, the program is having problems determining where to start running from, which is why you are getting this linker error. Also, be sure your programming environment is properly configured since that can also turn up similar linker errors. Double check all your settings and that you have a valid entry point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
In a book I have, as well as in several other places, I have seen this.

int main(int argc,char* args[])

Could the * be causing the error?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
In a book I have, as well as in several other places, I have seen this.

int main(int argc,char* args[])

Could the * be causing the error?


No, that's correct, I forgot the * when I gave my example.

Did you include your headers properly? Maybe a posting of code would help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Also, another way to write main can be:


int main(int argc, char** argv)



A code example might help.

Chad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Perhaps you need to install the correct version of the stub headers for the version of the .DLL file you have. It's possible that the .DLL is newer than the header files you are using.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Actually, that's really likely. I downloaded the SDL.dll from libsdl.org, and the templates are in the devpak. (not sure where I downloaded that)

I'll try updating the making sure the .dll and the headers are congruent tomorrow morning and I'll post some code if it didn't work.

Edit: Ha! I got it. I was using the 1.2.4 .dll with the 1.2.7 headers. Thanks for the help guys.

Edit Again: Actually it might have been the other way around. Point is, they didn't match.

[Edited by - minyman22 on August 10, 2006 10:29:17 AM]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this