• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MickeMan

SDL and dlopen()

This topic is 4478 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have decided to import the SDL library into my project via the dlopen() function, using Linux and g++ compiler. So I managed to import the function SDL_Init() which initializes the SDL stuff by doing this: void* handle = dlopen("/usr/lib/libSDL.so", RTLD_LAZY); typedef void (*SDL_Function)(int); SDL_Function SDL_Init = (SDL_Function) dlsym(handle, "SDL_Init"); And voila! I can call SDL_Init() with the parameters needed and it all works nicely. Next step is to load the SDL_Surface struct, which it turns out is more difficult. I read somewhere that I need to first define my own struct: struct SDL_Surface { Uint32 flags; /* Read-only */ SDL_PixelFormat *format; /* Read-only */ int w, h; /* Read-only */ Uint16 pitch; /* Read-only */ void *pixels; /* Read-write */ /* clipping information */ SDL_Rect clip_rect; /* Read-only */ /* Reference count -- used when freeing surface */ int refcount; /* Read-mostly */ } SDL_Surface Well... that would mean that I have to import SDL_Rect and SDL_PixelFormat before, and those structs require other structs and so on and so on... Seems to me that there isnt just an easy way of doing something like: typedef struct SDL_Surface; and then just point the struct with dlsym() Please help :(

Advertisement
Just include all the necessary SDL headers... Structs are effectively memory-layout definitions and don't compile into anything - you _need_ the definition.

Jans.

Guest Anonymous Poster
thanks, means I can stop wasting time looking for alternative ways.

Quote:

void* handle = dlopen("/usr/lib/libSDL.so", RTLD_LAZY);
typedef void (*SDL_Function)(int);
SDL_Function SDL_Init = (SDL_Function) dlsym(handle, "SDL_Init");

FWIW, SDL_Init returns an int and takes a Uint32 argument. It could cause subtle and hard to track bugs.

Hope this helps.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!