what is .net framework

Started by
5 comments, last by ryt 17 years, 8 months ago
i started to learn win32. then i asked myself if it is possible to run win32 programs under vista. (cos i dont wont learn something i wont be able to use later) but the answer is yes, since programs bilt for xp and games work under vista. right? my question is about .net framework. what it is? is it connected to win32? do i need to understand win32 to be able to understand .net? can i maybe learn .net and da win stuff without knowing win32?
Advertisement
Wikipedia's .NET Framework page does a better job explaining what it is than I could.

In simple (overly simple) terms, the .NET platform is a lot like the Java platform and the .NET framework is a class library that is used to program for that platform, much like the JDK is an official, standard class library used to program for Java.
thx
To answer your last three questions, yes. Much of the .NET Framework libraries were built ontop the Win32 API. However, .NET was designed to be used and understood on its own, without the programmer needing to know or understand Win32.

Also, Microsoft almost never breaks backwards compatability, especially for core libraries like the Win32 API. While Microsoft isn't emphasizing or developing the Win32 API much any more, it will be supported for a long time to come.
the book i read has 1400 pages on win32, so when i learn it i dont wont to be left nowhere.
but anyway ill learn win32, cos i think ill better understand .net.
i dont wont to leave anything, so i dont come to theat i want to bild something in .net but i dont understand it cos i miss previous knowledge
on wiki i read theat withe .net dll's are almoust being eliminated, is this true? so how will some program use win features?
i think dll's will be still in use, cos many other apis use it like directx.
does theat mean theat directx 10 will not use dlls :(

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement