Started by
7 comments, last by ronkfist 17 years, 8 months ago
Ok, lets say I do something like this:

SystemClass: Initialisation, Config, MainLoop

Then

WorldManager

Renderable Objects Abstract Objects Both inherit from WorldManager

Why would I need to rewrite it?
I would then inherit classes from renderable objects for the map (Terrain), the buildings
In the abstract objects I would go for a list of the buildings and their stats that would inherit from a virtual tile map.

Would that work properly?

I don't get why I would need to rewrite.
Advertisement
Why don't you just try with a RAD editor?
Make your demo with a Game tool like these: Blender3D, Virtools, DarkBasic, Macromedia Director etc.

May you will develop your Game demo around two weeks. Don't waste time thinking about elevated programming topics and OOP. Some people have done a solution ready to use for you. Reinventing the Wheel?
"Technocracy Rules With Supremacy" visit: http://gimpact.sourceforge.net
Maybe because I like programming, know how to programm (well maybe not much OOP but procedural yes), and I want to change from doing all procedural programs.
I did some OOP before but wasn't game stuff.
And I am quite interested in the all architecture of this stuff.
Plus I don't see the fun in using tools that don't give you enough liberty.
(And I am a programmer not an artist, so the demo would be more on the programming side than the artistic one)
Ok, before going further I'd like to show you what I did for the moment:
I went back on my old programming books and reread most of the stuff on OOP.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I wrote the code for this and it all works.
Now I'd like to know if you think this is a good way of structuring it?

Now I intend to inherit from CWorldManager a CTileMap and a CTerrain (that is dependant on CTileMap (which will create a virtual tilemap, CTerrain being the actual physical object).

Thanks for your help!
hmm why do you put CSystem in CWorldmanager? Id suggest make CSystem a static class (after all your only gonna have 1 main loop). CSystem would have all kinds of static functionality, a time function, a sleep function and so on.

Don't try to inherit too much, its a mistake many ppl make when starting OOP. Here are some old but still interesting aricles Object Mentor, take a look at the "Patterns" and "Object Oriented Design" sections.
Well I don't inherit CWorldManager, it's a dependency.
Anyway, if I don't do it that way, when I want to get the pointer to the device,driver,scene manager, should I go on creating a pointer to CSystem?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement