• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Test My 3D Engine [Update 2006-09-12]

This topic is 4144 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

It has been almost a month since the last update. I have expanded the new demo somewhat by adding player physics, ambient sounds and I have enabled the console. It feels like I have introduced more new bugs in this version of the demo than I have solved since the last version of the demo [lol]. Here is some info about the input and console: Input • move the mouse to rotate the view (to disable mouse lock, open the console) • use W, A, S, D to move around • press E to spawn a cube • press R to remove the latest added cube • press Z to add a light at the cameras position • press X to remove the latest added light • press F1 or Grave to toggle console • press M to output all console text to the file "cdump.html" • press Esc to exit Console Info • press Page Up and Page Down to scroll in the console • press Up Arrow and Down Arrow to scroll previous commands • press Tab to list commands that begin with what you have inputed so far (if nothing is inputed then all commands will be listed) s_environment parameter list FSL_ENVIRONMENT_GENERIC FSL_ENVIRONMENT_PADDEDCELL FSL_ENVIRONMENT_ROOM FSL_ENVIRONMENT_BATHROOM FSL_ENVIRONMENT_LIVINGROOM FSL_ENVIRONMENT_STONEROOM FSL_ENVIRONMENT_AUDITORIUM FSL_ENVIRONMENT_CONCERTHALL FSL_ENVIRONMENT_CAVE FSL_ENVIRONMENT_ARENA FSL_ENVIRONMENT_HANGAR FSL_ENVIRONMENT_CARPETEDHALLWAY FSL_ENVIRONMENT_HALLWAY FSL_ENVIRONMENT_STONECORRIDOR FSL_ENVIRONMENT_ALLEY FSL_ENVIRONMENT_FOREST FSL_ENVIRONMENT_CITY FSL_ENVIRONMENT_MOUNTAINS FSL_ENVIRONMENT_QUARRY FSL_ENVIRONMENT_PLAIN FSL_ENVIRONMENT_PARKINGLOT FSL_ENVIRONMENT_SEWERPIPE FSL_ENVIRONMENT_UNDERWATER FSL_ENVIRONMENT_DRUGGED FSL_ENVIRONMENT_DIZZY FSL_ENVIRONMENT_PSYCHOTIC NO_EAX
Engine Demo (3.4mb)
[Edited by - AxoDosS on September 12, 2006 9:48:21 AM]

Advertisement
You should probably include the cg dlls since not everyone will have them.

On the machine I'm trying to test your engine out on I don't have them (which is surprising considering what my job is!). I'll go install them real quick.

Very good demo, one problem is that at the end of the demo I get this:

That aside I think it's very good, here's a picture I got from colliding a few spheres together:

Sorry but that the file won't load up fast at all due to the fact that I am using freewebs and I can't get fileshack to work for some unknown reason, again sorry.

[Edited by - teh_programerer on August 9, 2006 2:48:12 PM]

Are you using mip-mapping? Minified textures have a sparkley look to them that makes me think there's no mip-mapping.

What physics engine are you using?

How do I load Doom 3 maps with it?

teh_programerer, wtf is up with the bmps? Even on my high speed connection they're taking forever to load. Oh and one is broken.

Quote:
How do I load Doom 3 maps with it?
You need to convert the Doom 3 level using a tool that I made before you can load the level. Besides that there is nothing special to it.

Quote:
What physics engine are you using?
ODE

Quote:
Quote:
supplying openal dlls would help too. :)
I had to make the hard decision and not to include the DLL's. I don't have much free space left on my website [sad]

Quote:
Original post by AxoDosS
Quote:
Quote:
I had to make the hard decision and not to include the DLL's. I don't have much free space left on my website [sad]

Zip them up and email them to me and I can mirror them for you.

"engine_test.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The Procedure entry point cgGLUnbindProgram could not be location in the dynamic link library cgGL.dll"

.............Help?

k... i tested it is this your first engine ?
If it is it's not bad cause i had everything on full it looks nice.

Ok. I added the DLL files, just redownload the demo. This time the damn thing better work [wow]

Quote:
Original post by Havok1989
k... i tested it is this your first engine ?
This is the most advanced engine I have done so far. It is not the first one but it is the first one that I worked alone on.

Quote:
Original post by Programmer16
Quote:
Original post by AxoDosS
Quote:
Quote:

Zip them up and email them to me and I can mirror them for you.
Ditto.

Quote:
Original post by dbzprogrammer
"engine_test.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The Procedure entry point cgGLUnbindProgram could not be location in the dynamic link library cgGL.dll"

.............Help?

Your Cg dlls are probably older than the Cg library he used when building the engine. Try the beta 2 dlls. Those are the ones I tried and it worked. I also put cg.dll and cgGL.dll in the same dir as the executable.

Tank you everyone who tested the engine. Besides the DLL files there were not many errors reported.
I have updated the engine and hopefully fixed all the bugs (just redownload the file if you want the latest version)

bugs:
* mipmap filter setup incorrectly (the logs did report this but I did not pay attention to it)
* monitor gamma defaulting incorrectly

ehm.. it throws a msgbox that says "Failed to initialize udSoudSystem" when I try to run it..

Quote:
Original post by ZippoLag
ehm.. it throws a msgbox that says "Failed to initialize udSoudSystem" when I try to run it..

Try to remove OpenAL.dll from the directory. The best way is to install OpenAL since you get all the DLL's.

Thats pretty cool man. Congrats on your first solo engine.

Just a visual note - Is it me or are your shadows a bit too dark?

Quote:
Original post by bam104Just a visual note - Is it me or are your shadows a bit too dark?
That may be true. I think that the ambient level is set to 0.15.

I got it working and it ran really good, even with 200 objects. I only saw 4 problems: your camera shadow is almost pitch black, your 'drawn' counter doesn't work (may be because I had the shaders on), I couldn't get it to add a light, and when you get right up to an object it has a really bad fish-eye effect.

All in all, good job!

Quote:
I got it working and it ran really good, even with 200 objects. I only saw 4 problems: your camera shadow is almost pitch black, your 'drawn' counter doesn't work (may be because I had the shaders on), I couldn't get it to add a light, and when you get right up to an object it has a really bad fish-eye effect.

All in all, good job!
The "Drawn" counter and the "add a light" (I hope) should be fixed now. I don't know about the fish-eye effect. The field of view is set to 90deg from what I remember. Is it possible that your monitor has a different aspect ratio, perhaps you have a widescreen monitor?

Quote:
Original post by AxoDosS
Quote:

All in all, good job!
The "Drawn" counter and the "add a light" (I hope) should be fixed now. I don't know about the fish-eye effect. The field of view is set to 90deg from what I remember. Is it possible that your monitor has a different aspect ratio, perhaps you have a widescreen monitor?

Yea, I'm using a 4:3 widescreen.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement