• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Lutyo

Geomipmapping

This topic is 4453 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have read an article about geomipmapping. I would like to ask a question about the 'skirt' gapfilling technique (when you add extra triangles when 2 patches with different level meet). I understand how to solve this when the difference between the two levels is 1. But what if it is greater than 1? As an example: Assume on level 0 the patch's size is 9x9, so on level 2 a patch's size is 3x3. The first patch(level 2) has 3 vertices, the second patch(level 0) has 9 vertices along the common edge. Is there a way to connect them using only triangles? Or should I avoid level difference greater than 2? Lutyo

Advertisement
With skirts it shouldn't matter what the level difference is. The skirt geometry should extend down far enough to handle any possible gaps in the terrain. I've never actually implemented it, but I know that is the basic idea behind skirts.

If you wish to connect your two patches together and fill the gaps, there are several techniques.

The simplest one is the "skirt", where you just add a skirt, really, like a polygon belt that goes down enough so that gaps will be filled. You might see some steps on the sides, though.

A more complicated technique is to add triangles on the lowest resolution patch to fill the gaps exactly. Depending on your courage in implementing this, you can either make sure that the difference in resolution between 2 adjacent patches is not greater than 2, or go for a more complicated re-grid to handle all the cases. These complex re-grids can often make use of fan polygons.

And if, like me, you get bored in implementing your own landscape engine, you can use Demeter (http://tbgsoftware.com).

There are plenty of ressources on the subject, out there. Check there: http://vterrain.org/LOD/Papers/index.html. This is a gold mine!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!