• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Graiskye

Are the Pseudo Languages of any worth ??

This topic is 4389 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi folks, like the title says I'm trying to answer the question, is there any benifits to using a pseudo language like Torque, or Blitz. I just spent a dissapointing 2 weeks with DarkBasic, a total waste of time and energy, and was wondering if the others were any better. Should I just dive strait into C and C+, and screw the pseudo code. Im not looking to become a game programmer, Im into it for the fun, Ive always been interested in how programs work, and have some experience with the old MSBasic. Just seems overwhelming all the game engines, and languages, so I thought I might as well ask, is there any benifits to them, or is it just a case of trying to make somthing that is difficult, simple ? Ussually if that is the case, something gets sacrificed in the quest for simplicity ? Thanks for any opinions thoughts, etc.. Grais.

Advertisement
Well, if you are looking for a step up from those languages, but not quite ready to take the leap into C++ (or even Java or C#), many people on these boards would highly recommend Python. To make games, you can simply use the pygame library. The results are immediate, since it is an interpreted language, which is great for beginners who want instant feedback. Plus, you can get to know a language fairly quickly that has a lot of advanced features that you can bring over to C/C++/Java/C# later. Also, since you are just learning, it will be a long time before you "outgrow" pygame and its capabilities. By the time you do, you will be fully ready to tackle C++ and other more 'complicated' languages (note how 'complicated' is quoted -- many would argue on this point).

Another option would by Ruby and some of its SDL bindings, though pygame is so well developed that I would probably stick with Python.

Since you said that you have no real intention of making a living out of programming, there is no real point in learning C++, or anything like that. A good interpreted language like Python will do the trick, and you should be soaring with Pygame in no time.

Oh, by the by, last years 4E4 winner used GameMaker. They beat out all those people who were using homebrew and industry tested C++ engines because they had great gameplay. Just remember that.

Good luck!

Blitz has kept up with the times better than DarkBasic but it's not as cost-effective as Python with PyGame and PyOpenGL. Sure Blitz3d is as fast as C and BlitzMax is probably easier to learn than C++, but Python is free and you can learn a lot from Python that may be less "frowned upon" than Basic simply becuase Basic has a lot of legacy capabilities that modern languages have quit using for the most part.

The main advantages of Basic and Python over C/C++ is that they are generally more portable unless you specifically use the standard libraries and either Allegro or SDL (used internally by PyGame) and OpenGL under C/C++. Another advantage of Python and Ruby over the others is that you can do a lot in only a few lines of code making the debugging easier and the development times shorter.

Well I guess Im looking into Python, I allready have it installed on my machine, well parts of it anyway(a program I use3 OpenRPG, is written, or uses Python) .
Im open to any suggestions of learning resaources, any of that kind of thing.
Thanks for the advice.

PyGame is a Python wrapper for SDL, although there is a Google Summer of Code effort to port it to ctypes (for PyPy) and enable it to do a whole lot more than just wrap SDL in a "Pythonic" manner.

Panda3D is a 3D engine written in Python and C++ that powers Disney's ToonTown Online.

Dive Into Python is a free online book that teaches Python, but assumes familiarity with programming. How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Learning with Python (currently returning an access denied error message; weird...) teaches programming using Python.

There are many more resources, including documentation and the official Python language tutorial and reference, at the Python home page.

Good luck! [smile]

I began programming in a class that basically taught psuedocode and python. Didn't learn anything interesting, but when I took C and C++ it made things a lot easier. That's probably because of python, not psuedocode though. Yeah..just go with C++. Everyone says it's easier to learn C first, but C is basically in C++ and no one uses C anymore.

Quote:

I began programming in a class that basically taught psuedocode and python. Didn't learn anything interesting, but when I took C and C++ it made things a lot easier. That's probably because of python, not psuedocode though. Yeah..just go with C++. Everyone says it's easier to learn C first, but C is basically in C++ and no one uses C anymore.

1) It's easier to learn Python before C or C++ (and more beneficial).
2) C++ and C are different languages; assume otherwise at your peril.
3) Plenty of people still use C.

Quote:
Original post by jpetrie
Quote:

1) It's easier to learn Python before C or C++ (and more beneficial).
2) C++ and C are different languages; assume otherwise at your peril.
3) Plenty of people still use C.

Just like people still use FORTRAN or Cobol. Just because the language is old or "replaced" doesn't mean it's still not in use.

C++ is also a whole nother language than C IMO. C++ supports OOP, among many things, while C does not.

Quote:

Just like people still use FORTRAN or Cobol.

Interesting. Do you happen to know any Operating Systems whose kernel are written in FORTRAN or COBOL? [smile]

Quote:

I began programming in a class that basically taught psuedocode and python. Didn't learn anything interesting, but when I took C and C++ it made things a lot easier. That's probably because of python, not psuedocode though.

Wait, did I read this wrong or did you just say that learning C++ was a lot easier than Python? If that's so, then simply the proffessor of that class was a moron.

And btw, what the hell are Pseudo-Languages?

Quote:
Original post by mikeman
Quote:
Just like people still use FORTRAN or Cobol.

Interesting. Do you happen to know any Operating Systems whose kernel are written in FORTRAN or COBOL? [smile]

Do you happen to know any operating systems whose kernels are written in Python? Oh, well I guess nobody should use Python then, because operating systems implementation is the ultimate test of whether a programming language is useful, right?

Quote:
And btw, what the hell are Pseudo-Languages?

That's what happens when people try to come up with intellectual-sounding terms for things they don't know how to classify. [smile]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!