• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RobN

Looking to form a team of beginner game devs.

This topic is 4471 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Looking to start a team of beginner Game devs, The aim is to expand our knowledge and hopefully write a few simple games(no MMORPG or hl2). Ive been programming in c++ for a few years and have had experiance in Win32 api programming & winsock, but none when it comes to game dev. Wel use SDL or DirectX as the graphics library. I will set up a room on irc we can discuss in. Only requirements for members would be to know the c++ language. Reply with your email address and any example apps you have written, if your interested.

Advertisement
I may be interested, I know c++ fairly well and am just starting in directx. What kind of game did you have in mind(3d,2d,sidescroller,ect.)? My email is ridefast42@yahoo.com.

well im still learning and im allready trying to join another team if i don't get through ill let u know :).
I mostly use DirectX i never ussed SDL not that im developing for that long but everything is worth a try actually.

I would really like to get a progress report from one of these groups one day. I always see people looking to start a team of beginner developers (which makes no sense; who leads if all of you are inexperienced and unskilled?), followed by a flurry of "I would be interested" posts, and then... nothing. Ever.

I'm not being pessimistic. The fact that you guys want to work with other people is a wonderful thing, but if the organizer of this group is neither an experienced programmer nor an experienced manager, then there are going to be a number of fundamental problems, ranging from figuring out already-solved issues (how do we coordinate communication?), determining hierarchy (what does everyone want to do, how do we make a decision, how do we hand out tasks?), operations management (how do we store/publish resources within the team? how do we remove a non-contributing member? how do we promote new members to give them responsibility?) and so forth.

I don't have any answers. I would like to at least observe one of these groups and, based on what I see, maybe then I'd be able to think of some resources we could develop and publish to assist them. Even if all we got was a list of questions from the manager so that we can scour the net for good answers or commission documents where necessary, I'm sure it'd make a huge difference.

Anyway, good luck. If you can, keep us updated on your progress!

Quote:
Original post by econobeing
i'm interested in this

econobeing5@gmail.com

i've been messing around with SDL, i've recently made this: http://www.pupiljuice.com/econobeing/map%20maker.rar

i tried sending it to my friend, but it wont work for him, it works for me though <_>. if it doesn't work then maybe you could do a lookoff to the included source code.

It is asking for zlib1.dll. Wonder why. I see no zip files and dependency walker also says no dlls missing.

Oluseyi, you make a good point. I understand what you're saying, but I still think a group like those, through working together and staying motivated/dedicated and focus could help each other advance their skills, and for this, I'm may be interested as well. I'm a beginner game dev myself in the process of learning the Win32 API and applying it to games will beginning learning DirectX in the near future, hopefully within the next few months, but I am a Computer Science student and I have intermediate knowledge of C++.

You can email me at v_studio_902@yahoo.com to discuss this further.

Quote:
Original post by VWarrior
Oluseyi, you make a good point. I understand what you're saying, but I still think a group like those, through working together and staying motivated/dedicated and focus could help each other advance their skills, and for this, I'm may be interested as well.

What I'm saying is that I'd like to see results, even if they're bad, because this happens frequently enough that we should be able to provide some sort of support for it. GameDev is in the business of providing learning resources and infrastructure to game developers of all shades and levels; what can we provide for these guys? What are their needs? How do we find out?

Im pretty interested in this; I am also beginning DX3d and have about 2 years of C++/Java (3 years of basic; but thats basic +D) experience.

Just PM me for now as I have no real email adress (I know its strange, but true)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!