• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Looking to form a team of beginner game devs.

This topic is 4207 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Looking to start a team of beginner Game devs, The aim is to expand our knowledge and hopefully write a few simple games(no MMORPG or hl2). Ive been programming in c++ for a few years and have had experiance in Win32 api programming & winsock, but none when it comes to game dev. Wel use SDL or DirectX as the graphics library. I will set up a room on irc we can discuss in. Only requirements for members would be to know the c++ language. Reply with your email address and any example apps you have written, if your interested.

Advertisement
I may be interested, I know c++ fairly well and am just starting in directx. What kind of game did you have in mind(3d,2d,sidescroller,ect.)? My email is ridefast42@yahoo.com.

well im still learning and im allready trying to join another team if i don't get through ill let u know :).
I mostly use DirectX i never ussed SDL not that im developing for that long but everything is worth a try actually.

I would really like to get a progress report from one of these groups one day. I always see people looking to start a team of beginner developers (which makes no sense; who leads if all of you are inexperienced and unskilled?), followed by a flurry of "I would be interested" posts, and then... nothing. Ever.

I'm not being pessimistic. The fact that you guys want to work with other people is a wonderful thing, but if the organizer of this group is neither an experienced programmer nor an experienced manager, then there are going to be a number of fundamental problems, ranging from figuring out already-solved issues (how do we coordinate communication?), determining hierarchy (what does everyone want to do, how do we make a decision, how do we hand out tasks?), operations management (how do we store/publish resources within the team? how do we remove a non-contributing member? how do we promote new members to give them responsibility?) and so forth.

I don't have any answers. I would like to at least observe one of these groups and, based on what I see, maybe then I'd be able to think of some resources we could develop and publish to assist them. Even if all we got was a list of questions from the manager so that we can scour the net for good answers or commission documents where necessary, I'm sure it'd make a huge difference.

Anyway, good luck. If you can, keep us updated on your progress!

Quote:
Original post by econobeing
i'm interested in this

econobeing5@gmail.com

i've been messing around with SDL, i've recently made this: http://www.pupiljuice.com/econobeing/map%20maker.rar

i tried sending it to my friend, but it wont work for him, it works for me though <_>. if it doesn't work then maybe you could do a lookoff to the included source code.

It is asking for zlib1.dll. Wonder why. I see no zip files and dependency walker also says no dlls missing.

Oluseyi, you make a good point. I understand what you're saying, but I still think a group like those, through working together and staying motivated/dedicated and focus could help each other advance their skills, and for this, I'm may be interested as well. I'm a beginner game dev myself in the process of learning the Win32 API and applying it to games will beginning learning DirectX in the near future, hopefully within the next few months, but I am a Computer Science student and I have intermediate knowledge of C++.

You can email me at v_studio_902@yahoo.com to discuss this further.

Quote:
Original post by VWarrior
Oluseyi, you make a good point. I understand what you're saying, but I still think a group like those, through working together and staying motivated/dedicated and focus could help each other advance their skills, and for this, I'm may be interested as well.

What I'm saying is that I'd like to see results, even if they're bad, because this happens frequently enough that we should be able to provide some sort of support for it. GameDev is in the business of providing learning resources and infrastructure to game developers of all shades and levels; what can we provide for these guys? What are their needs? How do we find out?

Im pretty interested in this; I am also beginning DX3d and have about 2 years of C++/Java (3 years of basic; but thats basic +D) experience.

Just PM me for now as I have no real email adress (I know its strange, but true)

While reading Oluseyi's comments on beginner groups, i had a thought. What if gamedev were to 'tutor' a beginners group? If the group ever got stuck, experienced tutors could step in and lend a helping hand, and they could keep the thing rolling. Just a thought, but it seems like it would provide exellent experience for people trying to learn game development with a group, and for those who just need to learn how to develop games.

Its probably been mentioned before, but I, for one, would be interested.

I too would love to see some updates from these groups that are forming, too bad we never hear from them again. Somekind of separate section on this forum where dev teams can post about their progress would be nice.

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
What I'm saying is that I'd like to see results, even if they're bad, because this happens frequently enough that we should be able to provide some sort of support for it. GameDev is in the business of providing learning resources and infrastructure to game developers of all shades and levels; what can we provide for these guys? What are their needs? How do we find out?

Thats why i come here :)

I also agree with Oluseyi, it would be nice to see what you guys produce, and if you fail/succeed work out why.

Edit: Shouldnt this be in the "Help Wanted" Section?

it's good to learn something new even if your still learning it you can tell teachers ha i know more than u :P

I remember a funny moment in english :

The teacher told us what we needed to do but he said something wrong so i was like it's wrong and he was like no it's not he send me out of the lesson and the next day he apolagized because i was right :P

If there is anything said wrong forgive me cause i just woke up >_<. when im tired my english sucks im from holland and i can't even talk good dutch when im tired :D.

[EDIT] : If u put a website here for the Team than Gamedev staff can check it out so they know what u done and what your doing or trying or learning or whatever i currently need to watch 3 sites of myself :

http://jspf.wetpaint.com (My Portfolio nothing is in it yet but will come :))
http://www.freewebs.com/jstuts (when i have a tut it will come here i never wrote tuts so don't mind the bad tuts ^^)
http://sci-fi-strike.g0dsoft.com (The game im currently working on i now got it on pause cause im learning some more DirectX coding)
Than i got another game and program that will come with sci-fi-strike or a bit later and those are called Crytalise (Single Player game) and Blast ( Steam-like program)

This can take a while cause im still learning.

I think there should be private forums where only members of a particular team can access their private forums. There should also be a public forum where different teams could post their creations.

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi

I think it would be fantastic if GDnet provided a set of services similar to sourceforge: diskspace, code versioning, and forums. Clearly not without cost, but that would be a great way to provide a service that beginning developers would need, and make the projects more visible to the community at large.

Hi, I am definately interested in a beginners circle. I have been going back to the books to relearn old and new tricks. Mainly the standard library is new to me. I have several years of classroom c++. But ya. I have a few cool game ideas. I have aspirations of expanding my knowledge of 2d graphics, playing with 3d graphics. And learning the ins and outs of network communication(tcp/ip). Anyways, let me know how you would organize this group, and how we will all fall together.

CrazyJeep

Quote:
Original post by jjd
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi

I think it would be fantastic if GDnet provided a set of services similar to sourceforge: diskspace, code versioning, and forums. Clearly not without cost, but that would be a great way to provide a service that beginning developers would need, and make the projects more visible to the community at large.

hey that can be great!! we are also beginning team and WE ARE PROGRAMMING(so we are functional)lol

for this team, have a look on this: www.moonedit.com, great thing to work together. good luck!

Interested. Don't have any examples on hand right now as I'm away for 3 weeks. But I have done a top down 2D game before in my 2D development class. It was basically Grand Theft Auto 1 & 2. Done in DirectX9.

nak9193@gmail.com

Guest Anonymous Poster
Dude oluseyi, anybody asking for help here on gamedev is going to fail. This site really has become a joke for game development. I mean the people on here can't even do the super basics like use the STL or make API calls. I think once flipcode shut down all the morons flocked over here.

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:
Original post by VWarrior
Oluseyi, you make a good point. I understand what you're saying, but I still think a group like those, through working together and staying motivated/dedicated and focus could help each other advance their skills, and for this, I'm may be interested as well.

Just for the record, I would like to make it clear that I, and I would hope the majority of other GameDev forum users, do not agree with the previous AP's post and I hope that people of all levels, including complete beginners who can not "do the super basics like use the STL or make API calls" continue to feel welcome to post here for help.

I consider the last post thoroughly unconstructive.

Paul

Well I don't know anything about games programming whatsoever. I'm currently reading through '3D math primer for graphics and games development', next I'll try to get my greasy hands on 'Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0' after which I'll probably look for some sort of tutorial on making a game engine from scratch, and go from there :P

Yeah, I'm a little early on, maybe in the next 6 months...

Sorry about the delayed response.

@Anonymouse, The aim of my post was to form a team of beginner game devs, not beginner programmers that cant use librarys or api calls.

So i think we will be able to get a simple game together.

ridefast,staggy,econ,VWarrior,CornyKorn ill contact you by email, anybody else interested you forgot to leave you email addresses.

Ill try get a forum up and a irc room, then wel decide what librarys to use.

I reckon a pure SDL 2d game would be the way to go if your talking about beginners .......I am currently working on a very basic 2d pong game using sdl with visual studio 6 ....I am very new but have managed to get my player paddle moving via events and know the theory about collision detection for pixels but Im currently having trouble immplementing the ball object bouncing off at certain trajectorys based on what it hits e.g paddleplayer,paddlecpu,top screen < half way, top screen > half way and bottom screen < half way and > halfway.

The above ^^^ is just to show people where Im at .....I am still very new and probably dont know near as much as you folks but I have a reasnable understanding of OO concepts, such as abstract classes and inheritance and I would be willing to learn. Maybe just study the code initially before attempting to much.

Thanks
David ---
VERY good idea this thread! even if it comes to nothing if an idea like this could be made to work it would be great. One other thing if it is direct x Im not sure if I could manage that ....I looked at direct x before sdl and there seemed a heap more steps to do even the simplist tasks .....and to me direct x seems done in a way so it bears no similarity to any other language ......Im guessing that is because I have never had the parts explained properly from a game programmer though

Jeez that is some attitude from that ap .....they need to read the sticky in this forum about how to answer begginer questions constructively , I mean if people cant do API calls then obviously there going to learn .......everyone starts out knowing nothing with programming so I dont see how someone who knows API calls is neccessarly some god while someone that does not know is a moron and a **** head ......Myself for one I would rather be with a group of begginers because I feel I will learn more. The reasons for this are because :

They try to get things working in a basic way and gain understanding first and foremost then build on that with finer details
They speak in the english language showing the techno - babble in its simplist form(All the program details I have learned to date have seemed impossible until finding a guide where the writer knows how to write the english language and remembers whta being a begginer is like)

Taking the AP's post to its conclusion and looking at it from a different perspective:

Anyone here who is not a professional footballer like Pele is a moron because they cant play at his standard .

^^I think that shows the stupidity of an elitist attitude, its bad for programming forums and I have come across this a few times in other places. At the end of the day true greats realise that there is always more to learn

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement