• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
VWarrior

Learning DirectX 9 trivial?

This topic is 4393 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was recently made aware of the August 2006 DirectX SDK and it got me thinking about DirectX 10 launching with Windows Vista. I'm a beginner to game programming and after finishing a beginner book i'm reading now i'll be reading Game Coding Complete 2nd Edition and it covers DirectX 9. Thinking about the steep learning curve of DirectX, I was wondering if DirecX 10 will be much different from 9, different enough that a lot of what i'll be learning about 9 won't even be applicable to 10. I really have no idea myself, but would be better to just wait?

Advertisement
The learning curve to DirectX isn't steep. The problem is that most people learning it for the first time are also learning computer graphics or high-performance multimedia programming for the first time.

Go ahead and learn now. It'll make it easier the next time around.

Well, a lot of stuff will change in DX10 so unless you want to start using DX ASAP, I say you wait. In the meantime, just keep reading DX9 books/tutorials/SDK docs, that way you will familiarize yourself with the basic concepts.

Quote:
Original post by darkelf2k5
Well, a lot of stuff will change in DX10 so unless you want to start using DX ASAP, I say you wait.
This logic makes no sense. For one thing, what are you supposed to do in the meantime? Second, D3D 10 isn't going to be available to that many people for some time. Third, you can learn most of the important stuff now, and once you do, you will appreciate why D3D 10 is the way it is.

DX10 is merely one of the first manifestations of Microsofts' breaking away from their old policy of total backwards compatibility (case in point: windows has code that looks for a specific version of SimCity and that code does something special to let it run). I don't know why so many people (or at least powerful people) think that new code is somehow better than old, tried, tested, debugged code...

Quote:
Original post by luke2
DX10 is merely one of the first manifestations of Microsofts' breaking away from their old policy of total backwards compatibility (case in point: windows has code that looks for a specific version of SimCity and that code does something special to let it run).
D3D 10 is 100% backwards compatible.

Well if learning DX 9 will aid in eventually learning DX 10 then I guess I'll go ahead and do that. I just won't bother using it too much.

I honestly can't see why you'd say that. Direct3D 10 probably won't take a significant share of the market for a couple of years, which means that Direct3D 9 is still going to remain very important for a long time. You're better off learning both (and they aren't THAT different anyway, when it comes down to it) since I can imagine a lot of major game studios developing games for both versions for a while.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!