• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

quaternions blend through wierd arcs

This topic is 4212 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I'm having a problem with combining quaternions in my game. I have two skeleton animations, with each bone represented by a quaternion orientation per keyframe. When I try and make a blended transition between these two animations, some of the bones will take the long way around, eg rotate through 340 degrees, when only 20 degrees is required. I know that using 'shortest path' slerp would fix this, however in my case, slerp can't be used. The animation system I'm using does inter-animation blending by cumulatively adding the weighted quaternions of each animation track. Since shortest path blending can't be used, I'm vaguly aware that all the quaternions involved need to be in the same 'neighborhood'. How would it be possible to convert a quaternion from one neighborhood to another, so a proper weighted blend can occur? Also, how do other quaternion based animation systems in games handle this? Is it up to the animators to ensure that all the quaternions are compatible for blending, or is some conversion process used to transfer everything to the same neighborhood? In my experience, it's almost impossible to export compatible quaternions from 3d animation software. About 80% end up in one neighborhood, and 20% in another. Is this the norm, or is there something wrong with the axis-setup or rotation-space in my animation tools? Thanks!

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement