• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[web] New to web development(need help)!!

This topic is 4179 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have done web programming for school, ie. mysql, php, html,css, etc. One thing that I have never done before is setting up a website from scracth and so i'm confused about something that I was hoping some of yall could help me with. 1)I dont understand how you install software on a remote server. For example if I host my website on godaddy.com and I want to install forum software on the space godaddy has givin me for this site, what would I use to install the software(ssh, ftp)? This might be really simple, but I'm having a hard time figuring it out and I'm not use to this kind of stuff.

Advertisement
First you need to determine if godaddy.com will host dynamic content on their servers. I'd imagine they only allow you to host static html pages. If they do host dynamic content, then you'd probably upload them just like you'd upload any static html page.

Most software can either be installed through your hoster's configuration panel or simply be uploaded trough FTP, after which you normally run some installation script from your browser. Some software (e.g. Bugzilla, some extra Mediawiki things) needs to be installed from the command line with root access. You can't install that on a regular hosting package. You need your own (virtual) server for that.

Just read the installation manual of whatever it is that you want to install.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement