Sign in to follow this  

Pocket PC programming where to start?

This topic is 4178 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am new to C++ programming and was wondering how i program the pocket pc? Ive heard of Windows CE and windows mobile but i dont know the difference. Also Im reading Beginners C++ Game PRogramming and when im done with that what book should i read that would make my goal to program pocket pcs closer in reach. Anything helps. Thank You.

>> I am new to C++ programming and was wondering how i program the pocket pc?

I suggest you become somewhat profficient at C++ programming, or even C# programming, before moving to PocketPC.

>> when im done with that what book should i read that would make my goal to program pocket pcs closer in reach.

Look back two weeks ago in the forum to this thread.

>> Ive heard of Windows CE and windows mobile but i dont know the difference.

Windows CE is the general purpose operating system that runs on many devices. It runs on the handhelds. It runs on little pseudo-laptop looking things that were in vogue five years ago before the current PDA idea caught on. But it wasn't originally focused on that.

It runs on cash registers and POS terminals. It can be set up as a hard-limit RTOS. It runs on remote storage devices. It runs on programmable remote controls. It runs on slot machines. It runs on stuff in this short list of featured Windows Embedded devices.

"Windows Mobile" uses Windows CE 5.0, but additionally includes the .NET Compact Framework, "Office Mobile", Windows Media Player 10 Mobile, Bluetooth support, and other stuff.

Windows CE by itself is very cheap (something like $3 per license) and is a fairly bare bones embedded OS.

If you just want to make a quick game for pocket pc you could try GLBasic.
http://www.glbasic.com

That would be the easy result to getting something on screen in seconds.

On the other hand this does not open up the whole of the pocket pc to you - gui etc..Also you would be some what drifting away from learning C++, which is useful in general.

I think C# on the pocket pc might be a middle ground..

All depends on how quick you would pick up C++ and what you want to do with it

Sign in to follow this