• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Toolmaker

[.net] Switching between Debug and Release builds in C# Express

This topic is 4423 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recently I've been messing around with some of the build configuration of my game, and now all the sudden, it's build as a Release Build. And to be honest, I have NO idea on how to switch it back to a Debug Build again. What settings do I need to change to switch between Debug/Release builds? It's not as simple as it used to be in 2003, where you select Release/Debug in a dropdown box... Toolmaker

Advertisement
Hitting Run makes a Debug Build. Right click Build in the Project makes a Release Build. Ther is no switch in the Express Edition.

I think I broke my installation then... It's in Debug, running with F5, and when an unhandled exception is thrown, it just kicks back into VC#, but instead of breaking into the debugger, it shows a messagebox...

Oh, wait, I know why it does that... I started screaming before I actually checked my code... I did this after an end-user reported an IO exception to me:

static void Main()
{
try
{
Application.EnableVisualstyles();
Application.SetCompatibleTextRenderingDefault(false);
Application.Run(new MainForm());
}
catch (Exception e)
{
MessageBox.Show(e.ToString());
}
}

Sorry for the hassle, and thanks for the great link, it's so much easier now ^_^. You deserve a rate++ for your answer!

Toolmaker

If you wish the debugger to break in when an exception is thrown, even if it is handled by your code, press Ctrl+D then E (I think the menu option is Debug→Exceptions, don't have VS on me) and check the box for "Thrown" next to the exception you want to break on.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!