• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Evil Steve

Win32: DIBs Bitmaps and DCs

This topic is 4425 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I'm trying to create a font renderer for my little engine, and I intend to do this by rendering glyphs to a GDI surface, then getting the bits on the GDI surface and copying / converting them onto a D3D texture. Now, I'm wondering what the most efficient way to handle the GDI stuff is. I've currently created a DC compatible with the display, and a bitmap compatible with the DC. However, that gives me a monochrome bitmap. The docs for CreateCompatibleDC say that I can use CreateCompatibleBitmap to specify the width, height and colour of the bitmap. Which is a lie - I can only specify width and height. So, should I use CreateDIBSection instead of CreateCompatibleBitmap? Would that not cause problems or efficiency issues, since it's a device independant bitmap instead of a device dependant bitmap? Also, has anyone done this sort of thing before (font rendering like this), and if so, is there a more efficient way? I'm reasonably confident that this is going to be the best way to do it, but I'd like to hear other ideas too. Cheers, Steve

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by christian h
IDirect3DSurface9::GetDC

Then write the glyphs to this surface and make a texture out of it. I did this once, but I cant remember if I directly drew the text to the backbuffer-surface (this was in directdraw), or used a font texture. Maybe the former.

ch.
I had a look at this method, but I think the GDI method will be faster. To use that, you have to use an offscreen plain surface, which has to be in the default pool. And you have to lock the surface to copy it to a managed texture, which is likely more expensive since you're reading from VRAM. And I'm not convinced that D3D doesn't have to do a lot of work internally to provide you with a DC to a surface (I.e. I think it creates a DC and bitmap internally, copies itself to the bitmap and then gives you the DC, and does the opposite when you call ReleaseDC()).
I could be wrong of course [smile]

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Original post by Servant of the Lord
Not sure what's the fastest way to render text, but here's how to change a text's color: Link. You need to scroll about halfway down.

Probably not of much use, but I thought I'd drop it just in case.
I'll be pursuading D3D to colour my text for me, GDI will just be drawing a white letter and I'll get D3D to apply diffue colour and texturing.

Thanks anyway

Not 100% here, but when I've converted images to DIB, it converts them into an array of RGBQUAD structures something like:

struct RGBQUAD
{
BYTE rgbRed;
BYTE rgbGreen;
BYTE rgbBlue;
BYTE rgbReserved;
};

So you'd not be able to copy this directly into the texture. You'd have to compile each pixel from the RGBQUAD based on the texture pixel format, and manually set the alpha, I guess.

From what I saw, when I get the bits for a DIB/DDB they come to me in whatever format the DIB/DDB is in, and the RGBQUAD stuff is for palettes.
My main issue with DIBs is the "Device Independant" part makes me think that using it will mean GDI has to do some form of conversion, and hence it'll be slower than a DDB...

Not sure about this. When I use GetDIBits on a 24bit colour bitmap, it copies the data into a buffer that is in the format I've posted above.

I thought the whole point of Device Independant Bitmaps was it gave you the data in a standard format rather than the format the DDB was in.

When I was using DirectDraw, I used to load image data in the RGBQUAD format, then use StretchDIBits to put it onto a DirectDraw surface. It would correctly set up the surface regardless of the surface colour depth - it even did the correct colour matching from true colour to 256 colour for me.

Sorry if I'm at cross purposes here.

Quote:
Original post by EasilyConfused
Not sure about this. When I use GetDIBits on a 24bit colour bitmap, it copies the data into a buffer that is in the format I've posted above.

I thought the whole point of Device Independant Bitmaps was it gave you the data in a standard format rather than the format the DDB was in.

When I was using DirectDraw, I used to load image data in the RGBQUAD format, then use StretchDIBits to put it onto a DirectDraw surface. It would correctly set up the surface regardless of the surface colour depth - it even did the correct colour matching from true colour to 256 colour for me.

Sorry if I'm at cross purposes here.
Ah, I see now. Well, it looks like the only way to get access to the data in a DC is via a DIB, so I'll use that. GetBitmapBits() is deprecated apparently.

I'll investigate now. Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
I've currently created a DC compatible with the display, and a bitmap compatible with the DC. However, that gives me a monochrome bitmap. The docs for CreateCompatibleDC say that I can use CreateCompatibleBitmap to specify the width, height and colour of the bitmap. Which is a lie - I can only specify width and height.

Can't you just create bitmap compatible with the display (instead of memory DC, that you probably are doing at the moment)? That way you can get true color bitmaps. That's what I'm doing on my simple off-screen painting and so far I'm getting very good performance.
Edit: Actually MSDN is pretty clear on this:
Quote:
"A memory DC exists only in memory. When the memory DC is created, its display surface is exactly one monochrome pixel wide and one monochrome pixel high."

Quote:
"The color format of the bitmap created by the CreateCompatibleBitmap function matches the color format of the device identified by the hdc parameter."

[Edited by - VHL on August 10, 2006 11:43:37 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!