• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jagguy

smooth scrolling

This topic is 4356 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My tiles map in directx/c++ doesn't look smooth when scrolling as it seems to have a slight motion blur. It scrolls at a rate of 4 pixels per .05 sec or 80 pixels per sec. I had it scrolling 8 pixels per .1 sec and it didn't look as smooth as the later but aas I said there is still a slight motion blur.

Advertisement
it doesn't jut or stagger when moving, it is smooth. The motion blur is just slight but I don't bleieve it should be there at all.

I've found in the past that something that looks really smooth on a CRT monitor seems to look a bit blurry when in motion on a flat screen. Don't know if that is relevant.

Maybe you mean like when the tile/texture is drawn over an empty area (where no image is drawn) it creates a "blur" trace after the image.

I solved this by drawing 1 extra line of textures "off screen".

To be as clear as possible, it looks like a slight blur occurs on my scrolling screen as it scrolls. Nothing to do with flat screens or empty drawn areas. If this is normal then fine but if it can be improved on I don't know how to do it.

Bit hard to diagnose to be honest. As I say, I've noticed that stuff sometimes looks a bit blurry on certain monitors although you seem sure that is not the case here so all I can really suggest is you post some code.

Just a suggestion, but if it would help us see exactly what is going on, then is there anyway you can post a screenshot of the burryness? Maybe that way we can see exactly what it looks like.

Also, code would probally help.

Chad

When a screen scrolls at 80 pixels per sec, should the screen be picture perfect, or is there just a slight motion blur?
Let me find another 2d scroller and check it.

Take a screenshot right when you are scrolling in the game and the screen is blurry. Then, paste the screenshot to an image editor. If it appears blurry in an image editor, then it's probably a problem with your code. If it appears clear and sharp, then it's probably your monitor.

Just how bad is it?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!