• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Problems with "simple" inheritance

This topic is 4301 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there! I have a problem concerning inheritance or better said with overwriting inherited functions: I got a base class Entity, which supplies a function Update(float t). Furthermore I have a class Scene that keeps a std::vector< Entity * > and is meant to call that Update-function every frame. These classes are compiled into a DLL. Now the idea is that I can use this DLL in my main project, implement some classes that inherit from Entity, define new Update-functions there to get custom behaviour, and throw these derived classes at the std::vector< Entity * > in my scene, so the scene updates the entities automatically. However if I do something like this:
class Player : public Entity
{
    void Update(float t)
    {
        // do my update stuff here
    }
}
the only function that gets called by my Scene class is the Update-function from the base class Entity, not the one of the derived class Player like I´d expected. So my idea for a solution would be something like using type-IDs (perhaps int´s or strings) to identify which derived class that Entity* actually is and call the derived function explicitely, but that would be rather ugly I think and as far as my understanding of inheritance goes that shouldn´t be needed at all. Any help appreciated. Thx for reading.

Advertisement
I assume you did make the Entity::Update(float t) function virtual?
Otherwise I don't think the overwritten function in the subclass will get called on a pointer to Entity.

I may be wrong, I've never seen what happens / what is supposed to happen without applying virtual to a member that is intended to be inherited from.

That is a bit strange. Not sure if this is a DLL issue (although I've done this in the past the other way round - deriving classes in a DLL from a base class defined in the main project, then returning derived classes from the dll through a base class pointer and the virtual function mechanism seemed to work).

DLLs not withstanding, this should work:

class base
{
public:
virtual void update(){ }
};

class dervied : public base
{
public:
void update(){ }
};

std::list<base*> b;

void f()
{
b.push_back(new derived());

for(std::list<base*>::iterator i=b.begin();i!=b.end();++i)
{
i->update(); // should call derived::update
}
}

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!