• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Unity game not working on other comps

This topic is 4203 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Alright. Just to state I did read through this thread: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=406590 I compile with vs2005. At first, opening my game on another computer got the error: "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." Then I followed the directions here:
Quote:
To Static Link: Configuration Properties->C++ -> Code Generation, change this to MT (Multi-Threaded) Manifest: Configuration Properties-> Linker -> Manifest File, change generate manifest to no
And I also installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package. Now my game opens but immediately closes. I opened it with dependency walker and it on the bottom it said 'Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.'. I was also missing a dll but downloaded it. I'm thinking the dll the error was refering to is mpr.dll because the icon next to it is redish while the others are grey. Also some of them have hourglasses next to them, I'm not sure what that means. So is there any more steps I need to do? Any help? Thanks.

Advertisement
Theres a number of things I found that resolve this.

Due to vc8 runtime dll's not being placed in application directories anymore (theres an msdn article somewhere about using the WinSxS folder instead), you can

a) Make an application installer, making sure that all the dll's are packaged including those in c)
b) Do a 'full' windows update on the target system - I think its the .net 2.0 framework update that installs the c runtime dll's (even if youre not using .net)
c) Make sure the msvcp80.dll and msvcr80.dll files are in your application folder.

These may be completely hack ways of doing it, but they seem to work, and I'm not sure what the correct (MS) way is.

And those two missing dependencies in the dependency walker I think are safe to ignore (one something about java?)

Quote:
a) Make an application installer, making sure that all the dll's are packaged including those in c)
b) Do a 'full' windows update on the target system - I think its the .net 2.0 framework update that installs the c runtime dll's (even if youre not using .net)
c) Make sure the msvcp80.dll and msvcr80.dll files are in your application folder.

I did everything but a).
The game still does the same thing.
Will the doing of a) help it? Because I don't really know how to do step a.

I began having this problem too when I upgraded from Visual Studio 6 to Visual Studio 2005.

The problem is the way VC8 apps handle linking to needed libraries, such as MFC, ATL, and the CRT. What with the manifests and the WinSXS and all, it can be kinda confusing. One quick way to solve this is to head over to the VC\redist\x86\ folder in your Visual Studio directory, and copy the appropriate redistribution folders there into your program directory when you distribute. (If you don't use MFC or ATL in your app, you probably only need the Microsoft.VC80.CRT one)

(Incidentally, I think it would be nice if the standard "Release" configuration when you start a project with VC8 would automatically be distributable - I only rarely make installers for my Visual Studio-made apps; for something like a small utility, anything longer than a quick unzip seems so silly at install time.)

Try testing out if a "Hello, World" program or similiar works on another computer. If so, then it might be a library that you're using causing this problem.

Alright.
Quote:
Try testing out if a "Hello, World" program or similiar works on another computer. If so, then it might be a library that you're using causing this problem.

I will test this out. I can't until monday because that is the next time I have access to another computer. The other one in my house used to have dev-cpp installed and the game does work on that computer.
Quote:
I began having this problem too when I upgraded from Visual Studio 6 to Visual Studio 2005.
Exactly what I have done :).

Quote:

The problem is the way VC8 apps handle linking to needed libraries, such as MFC, ATL, and the CRT. What with the manifests and the WinSXS and all, it can be kinda confusing. One quick way to solve this is to head over to the VC\redist\x86\ folder in your Visual Studio directory, and copy the appropriate redistribution folders there into your program directory when you distribute. (If you don't use MFC or ATL in your app, you probably only need the Microsoft.VC80.CRT one)

The folders right? Not the files inside of them?
Okay all done. I will test this on monday as well. Thank you both for your help.
*crosses fingers*
:)

Quote:
Original post by theMadHatter
The folders right? Not the files inside of them?

No, you need the stuff inside them too. It adds a couple of megs to your distribution, which might seem kinda wasteful, but it's probably the simplest way to do it if you're distributing without installers. :)

Quote:
No, you need the stuff inside them too. It adds a couple of megs to your distribution, which might seem kinda wasteful, but it's probably the simplest way to do it if you're distributing without installers. :)

I know. What I meant was do I keep them in the folders and just copy/paste the folders directly in to the game folder; or do I open each folder seperately and copy/paste the actual files and put them in my app folder without being inside another folder. Yeah. :)

Well. I have msvcp80.dll, msvcr80.dll, all those redistributile folders. I downloaded the .net framework 2.0 and installed that. And just to make sure I downloaded directx 9c aswell (which was already installed). So I don't know. If there is anything else then help. Anyone willing to compile it themselves and see if they can get it to work. Maybe it's just my compiler. Just a thought. This is annoying. ARGHGHHGHGHG. :(
Thanks for the help though guys :).

Hmm. Is it giving you the same "application configuration is incorrect" error, even with the redistribution DLLs in the app folder? You've got these files deployed on the target computer, right? That would be odd if that wasn't working - just including those files in the distribution fixed my problems immediately.

Maybe try creating a simple test project, and see if you can get that working on another computer.

Guest Anonymous Poster
It is just coming up with a blank white screen then closing immediately.
I'm creating a test project tonight. Thing is the computer I was working on is no longer available to me. So now I need to find a new computer to test on. I'll make it tonight and if anyone here want's to test it out they can. Thing is it will work if you have a compiler installed. Like I said before my old computer had dev-cpp installed on it and my game worked there. So anyone got a computer that never had a comiler installed willing to help me out :).
Thanks!

It is just coming up with a blank white screen then closing immediately.
I'm creating a test project tonight. Thing is the computer I was working on is no longer available to me. So now I need to find a new computer to test on. I'll make it tonight and if anyone here want's to test it out they can. Thing is it will work if you have a compiler installed. Like I said before my old computer had dev-cpp installed on it and my game worked there. So anyone got a computer that never had a comiler installed willing to help me out :).
Thanks!

Edit:
Okay here's the testing program.
http://edgeofitall.com/phil/misc/testing.exe

Edit: (again...)
I'm using the Directx April(2006) sdk if that changes anything.

[Edited by - theMadHatter on August 14, 2006 8:50:15 PM]

Well, the white screen thing doesn't sound like a distribution / WinSXS problem. If it behaves that way both on your development computer and another computer, then WinSXS isn't your problem, it's either something wrong with your code, or something that happened when you reconfigured your project, trying to fix the problem the first time. :P

I've got a couple computers without Visual Studio; I'll go ahead and try your test program when I get a chance (with and without the redistribution DLLs), just to make sure it does what I expect it will do.

The game works on my development computer.
Someone else tested it out too. And it worked on their computer. All it is is a console program. Maybe I should write a simple directx program just that blanks the screen or something?

Guest Anonymous Poster
MrAccident, I followed what you said and it worked fine.

Thank you very much

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By Vu Chi Thien
      Hi fellow game devs,
      First, I would like to apologize for the wall of text.
      As you may notice I have been digging in vehicle simulation for some times now through my clutch question posts. And thanks to the generous help of you guys, especially @CombatWombat I have finished my clutch model (Really CombatWombat you deserve much more than a post upvote, I would buy you a drink if I could ha ha). 
      Now the final piece in my vehicle physic model is the differential. For now I have an open-differential model working quite well by just outputting torque 50-50 to left and right wheel. Now I would like to implement a Limited Slip Differential. I have very limited knowledge about LSD, and what I know about LSD is through readings on racer.nl documentation, watching Youtube videos, and playing around with games like Assetto Corsa and Project Cars. So this is what I understand so far:
      - The LSD acts like an open-diff when there is no torque from engine applied to the input shaft of the diff. However, in clutch-type LSD there is still an amount of binding between the left and right wheel due to preload spring.
      - When there is torque to the input shaft (on power and off power in 2 ways LSD), in ramp LSD, the ramp will push the clutch patch together, creating binding force. The amount of binding force depends on the amount of clutch patch and ramp angle, so the diff will not completely locked up and there is still difference in wheel speed between left and right wheel, but when the locking force is enough the diff will lock.
      - There also something I'm not sure is the amount of torque ratio based on road resistance torque (rolling resistance I guess)., but since I cannot extract rolling resistance from the tire model I'm using (Unity wheelCollider), I think I would not use this approach. Instead I'm going to use the speed difference in left and right wheel, similar to torsen diff. Below is my rough model with the clutch type LSD:
      speedDiff = leftWheelSpeed - rightWheelSpeed; //torque to differential input shaft. //first treat the diff as an open diff with equal torque to both wheels inputTorque = gearBoxTorque * 0.5f; //then modify torque to each wheel based on wheel speed difference //the difference in torque depends on speed difference, throttleInput (on/off power) //amount of locking force wanted at different amount of speed difference, //and preload force //torque to left wheel leftWheelTorque = inputTorque - (speedDiff * preLoadForce + lockingForce * throttleInput); //torque to right wheel rightWheelTorque = inputTorque + (speedDiff * preLoadForce + lockingForce * throttleInput); I'm putting throttle input in because from what I've read the amount of locking also depends on the amount of throttle input (harder throttle -> higher  torque input -> stronger locking). The model is nowhere near good, so please jump in and correct me.
      Also I have a few questions:
      - In torsen/geared LSD, is it correct that the diff actually never lock but only split torque based on bias ratio, which also based on speed difference between wheels? And does the bias only happen when the speed difference reaches the ratio (say 2:1 or 3:1) and below that it will act like an open diff, which basically like an open diff with an if statement to switch state?
      - Is it correct that the amount of locking force in clutch LSD depends on amount of input torque? If so, what is the threshold of the input torque to "activate" the diff (start splitting torque)? How can I get the amount of torque bias ratio (in wheelTorque = inputTorque * biasRatio) based on the speed difference or rolling resistance at wheel?
      - Is the speed at the input shaft of the diff always equals to the average speed of 2 wheels ie (left + right) / 2?
      Please help me out with this. I haven't found any topic about this yet on gamedev, and this is my final piece of the puzzle. Thank you guys very very much.
    • By Estra
      Memory Trees is a PC game and Life+Farming simulation game. Harvest Moon and Rune Factory , the game will be quite big. I believe that this will take a long time to finish
      Looking for
      Programmer
      1 experience using Unity/C++
      2 have a portfolio of Programmer
      3 like RPG game ( Rune rune factory / zelda series / FF series )
      4 Have responsibility + Time Management
      and friendly easy working with others Programmer willing to use Skype for communication with team please E-mail me if you're interested
      Split %: Revenue share. We can discuss. Fully Funded servers and contents
      and friendly easy working with others willing to use Skype for communication with team please E-mail me if you're interested
      we can talk more detail in Estherfanworld@gmail.com Don't comment here
      Thank you so much for reading
      More about our game
      Memory Trees : forget me not

Thank you so much for reading
      Ps.Please make sure that you have unity skill and Have responsibility + Time Management,
      because If not it will waste time not one but both of us

• By RoKabium Games
      We've now started desinging the 3rd level of "Something Ate My Alien".
      This world is a gas planet, and all sorts of mayhem will be getting in our aliens way!
      #screenshotsaturday
    • By Pacoquinha Studios
      Kepuh's Island is Multiplayer 3D Survival Game where you survive on the Kepuh's Islands, confronting challenges that are not only other players but also bosses, and even the environment itself.
      We have a lowpoly faster battle-royale idea, where about 12 players on the map fighting for survival! Also adding some more things into that style such as bosses around the map giving you abilities and much more such as vehicles, weapons, skins, etc...
      Now we are on cartase which is a crowdfunding online which purpose is to raise funds for the development of the game. Come and be part of this development.
      Link for Cartase: https://www.catarse.me/kepuhsisland?ref=project_link
      We post updates and trailers on
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/pcqnhastudios
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pacoquinhastudios/
      Site: http://pacoquinhastudios.com.br
      If you could check out it would be great
      Thnks
      Some images:

• Advertisement