• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Everyone must lose eventually

This topic is 4274 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Thinking in advance and out loud here. I've spent some time playing some commercial games that kind of go on and on. Eventually I find a spot where I no longer have the skill to keep up, I lose all the lives I've accumulated and it's "Game Over" for me. And sometimes the game lets you continue at the same level with three more lives. Go figure. AAR, in developing a game I can imagine several ways to make the game more difficult; speeding up the action, additional targets/attackers and fewer or less useful powerups. I can also see the possiblility of the score exceeding the limit of the variable holding the score, though a 64 bit int ought to be large enough. Are there any other tactics to take to make sure that at some point the player fails to continue? Ethically speaking I'd like to steer away from the obvious of just having something zoom in once the level begins and nuking the playfield. Thanks, Lilith

Advertisement
Something that works for me is the end-of-game credits. Never managed to beat the little bastards.

Other than that, it depends on what kind of game you are playing. Take a peek at my article on GDNet for ways to increase difficulty in a platform game, for instance.

>Something that works for me is the end-of-game credits. Never managed to beat the
>little bastards.

>Other than that, it depends on what kind of game you are playing. Take a peek at
>my article on GDNet for ways to increase difficulty in a platform game, for
>instance.

Will do. For the record, I'm working on a maze game, alá Pacman but with a soupçon of powerups to break the boredom.

Lilith

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement