• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kingpinzs

Programming a game to talk back to commands

This topic is 4457 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How would I use a speech engine to have it make the character talk back with out recording every word in the dictionary?

Advertisement
The speech program that used to ship with Windows would just attempt to say anything you typed in text, so I assume that if you had an engine that you could use programatically, you'd just send it the text you wanted it to say, possibley with some spelling extensions that gave hints about prononciation.

However, if you are talking about actually using the sound hardware to create the actual speech engine itself, pass. I would guess this is a pretty big and complex topic to be honest.

I've yet to see a commercial game that seriously attempts synthesized speech as an alternative to pre-recorded so I suspect that the technology may not yet exist to do this well, although I don't play a lot of cutting edge games so I could be wrong about this.

you cant to my knowledge. You would have to know what the character would be able to say, record the dalogue and have it say the appropriate thing at the appropriate time. Which is how most games do it. If you want to synth speach on the fly, I thinkyou would be the "pioneer" of the process. Thus meaning not much help wouldbe found, you would have to create the process. But again, it would be so complicated and expensive, i doubt it could be used in a game.

Darklaga used synthesized voices for the user interface (saying the names of the various items picked up, for instance). Since we knew ahead of time what would be said, we used a commercial product to synthesize the sounds, and then we used the plain old wav files as sound effects. In general, robotic voices are fairly easy to create.

What is harder is to have the AI find out what to answer: once the text to be said is known, it is possible to have the computer speak it (although sometimes awkwardly).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!