• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

If u code a 3d game in D3D

This topic is 4182 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If u code for example a First Person Shooter in D3D. Do i still need to make a particle system and other things for it ? ofcourse i want my game to look good not that i have a war game that says hey look im dancing in the middle of the street and no mortars are falling on my why are they stopping ? :O come and dance with me. but that u really see the sand jump up from the explosions etc. Or can u allready do that with DirectX itself? This is just a question.

Advertisement
I'm not really sure that I understood that post. Direct3d is ONLY a graphics api. That means that all it does is give you a common interface into the graphics card driver to draw triangles on the screen. It does not provide any sort of scene management or higher-level objects. So, no it doesn't provide a particle system out of the box, but it does give you the building blocks to build a particle system.

I'm not sure what you meant, but Direct3D does not include any logic for a particle system. You will have to write it yourself using D3D's graphics primitives.

Quote:
Original post by Havok1989
If u code for example a First Person Shooter in D3D.
Do i still need to make a particle system and other things for it ? ofcourse i want my game to look good not that i have a war game that says hey look im dancing in the middle of the street and no mortars are falling on my why are they stopping ? :O come and dance with me.
but that u really see the sand jump up from the explosions etc.
Or can u allready do that with DirectX itself?

This is just a question.

Dude, do you have any more of that joint? Cause it must be good...

BTW, that kind of humor doesn't work so well online, because you need to act it out.

Anyways, you will need to code a particle system that uses D3D to render the particles.

damn dbzprogrammer it was just a question and u wanna start world war 3 over it ? pff im just a noob in programming come on give me chance to ask stupid questions btw :

"I don't do drugs,
I don't do smoke,
I only do Alcohol."

beer rules!

Anyway thnx ravuya and jkleinecke for replying normally ill try to make me a particle system.

Guest Anonymous Poster
The DirextX SDK does have Particle effects Sample programs that might be turned into a particle engine. At least they will give you a head start (trying to get all the pieces together using Microsofts documentation is usually as fun as having teeth pulled).

You would have to modify them to do what you want (jumping sand sounds like it will take alot of particles to do right though).

better a game that takes long and less bugs and plays good than a game like proffesionals build in 2 3 years and still have 100000000 bugs in it ;).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement