DirectX Hallucinagen?

Started by
13 comments, last by luke2 17 years, 8 months ago
Have you disabled lighting yet? Without it disabled and without vertex normals, the N dot L calculation will always return 0 which means you'll have a completely black object. The DirectX documentation specifically states that in the render state types section.

Quote:Original post by luke2
As for my versions, My SDK says only that its version :9.0 Update (October 2004)
and my Runtime is 9.0c. So do I have the right SDK version? Or should I go looking for SDK9.0c?

Yes, you should get the most recent SDK, unless you're still using Windows 2000 in which case it's not supported.

Advertisement
Yes my lighting is disabled. Im gonna get the august distro of DXSDK now then.
Try doing nothing but clearing the backbuffer, don't set any textures, renderstates, or draw anything.

If you get the magenta / green screen, then Clear() isn't clearing the backbuffer. Lighting or anything else won't make any difference at this stage.
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
Try doing nothing but clearing the backbuffer, don't set any textures, renderstates, or draw anything.

If you get the magenta / green screen, then Clear() isn't clearing the backbuffer. Lighting or anything else won't make any difference at this stage.

Is he still getting the magenta / green screen? I thought that was just from when he had the call to Clear() commented out. Another thing I noticed is that you never set the world transformation matrix. I'm not sure if it defaults to identity or not, but I would set it to the identity matrix just to be sure.
I only get the magenta/green when I comment out clear(...).

I've tried doing nothing but clear(...) as Evil Steve suggested, but to no avail; I have also done the world transform(Identity matrix * Yrotation to 30 degrees) and still nothing; I am considering just scrapping this code (not literally) and trying again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement