• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Deets

Simple D3D Direct X Sample Program question?

This topic is 4506 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, when I got the Direct X 9 SDK out of a book on programming, there is the Direct X 9 Application Wizard in the SDK. Creates a sample simple program from Microsoft, with either a blank screen, teapot, or triange. I am using the blank screen. Included can be Direct 3D, DInput, DPlay, DSound, DMusic, Networking, etc, etc, etc. Okay, I changed it. Now instead of the startup window of about 500x375 resolution, I made a Window in the program that is still Windowed but appears to be Fullscreen, and not really Fullscreen, as one can change to inside of the program. With my old graphics card (Geforce), I get the usual about 75 frames/sec with the program in Fullscreen mode, which can be switched to inside the program. With my Window which is still Windowed (but not the original 500x375 and will be in any resolution you are at on your computer) but appears to be Fullscreen (at least on my computer) I get a frame rate of 160 frames/sec. I know it is a sample D3D Direct X 9 program that is not all that good, but I have no idea why my framerate would double (or more) being in a Windowed mode that shows Fullscreen on my computer vs. actually being in Fullscreen mode with the program. If you want all three versions of the program to look at, or try -- to see if your graphic card does the same thing the ZIP file is here: File uploaded and reachable from the following project: http://www.savefile.com/projects/698876 If you want to link directly to the file: http://www.savefile.com/files/1733841 [ Download the file now ] Perhaps it has something to do with the way Microsoft programmed the sample simple 3D program, but I just wondered why a Fullscreen Windowed mode is twice (or more) as fast as the regular Fullscreen mode. Maybe it has something to do with my old graphics card (geforce FX5200) or maybe it does not, and has something to do with memory or just the program is just that way?? Thanks if you can answer this, or get about the same results from this demo Microsoft 3D program.

Advertisement
No takers?

Found other sample programs from Microsoft - use about same files as before.

Only can surmise must have something to do with Microsoft's programmming in a Window mode vs. Fullscreen?

I don't think the sample programs are clearing memory and such at some times in the program, I had it slow down after awhile, but there are other sample programs, and the more graphic detail, the frame rate dropped significantly then.

Hi...

this may have to do with the fact that, in fullscreen, you're generally capped with the screen refresh rate (which could very well correspond to your 75fps if you ask me).

In windowed you may have no such limitation.

To uncap in fullscreen, build your device with another PresentationInterval (in the D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS). Since I don't know how to use this thing very well myself (I get strange artifacts when I try to mess with it) I can't tell you which one to select, but you could try the doc ;)

regards,
- TiPiou

Thanks for the reply. I did get a new graphic card, but it is still PCI and one that others have said is not all that good -- Geforce 6200 PCI. So, yes, I think it is the refresh rate, since I have that at 75Hz, since I am using my smaller 17" monitor instead of my 19" monitor where the Refresh Rate would go higher with the video card, depending on the video card and monitor combination.

I still got the same frame rates with the program, and they are sample Microsoft programs, but in the smaller window (and not full screen which was only slightly about 6 frames more in windowed mode) I got an increase of about 50 frames/second.

I think I just read that, where the Refresh Rate governs the max amount of frames.

So all the time, it all depends on Refresh Rate between the graphics card and the monitor.

Well, that is all interesting to me! It always seems that the advertising goes on and on and on about some of the items for a computer but they fail to tell a person everything (at least to me.)

Thanks again for the reply. It is the Refresh Rate.

Perhaps I also found out a little bit about how fast those Microsoft programs will work, as samples with the Direct X 9 SDK for the older version I have installed off of a CD from a game book.

Duh!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!